He laughed and I crawled under the desk next to him.

"Why are you hiding?" I asked.

"I messed up in a test." He said. "I want to be in the big kid class but I messed up the test. No one in class likes me so I thought if I got in the big kid class someone finally would. Maybe I'd make friends. I wouldn't be a weirdo anymore."

"You seem pretty cool to me." I said. "I'll be your friend."

"Really?" He said, letting go of his legs and looking at me.

I nodded.

"Yep. Us weirdos have to stick together!" I said. "I'm Darius. What's your name?"

"Alador." He said.

[Flashback End]

~Darius POV~

"And that's how we met." I said.

"Told you it was embarrassing." Alador said. "We were really dramatic 7 year olds. We had nothing to worry about, we got into the advanced classes."

"That wasn't embarrassing, that was wholesome." Raine said.

"You're too easily impressed." I said.

"I'm a sucker for a good backstory." They shrugged.

"I wouldn't call that a good backstory but okay." Alador shrugged.

"We told you how we met, now how about you tell us how you met Eda." I suggested.

"Sure." Raine said.

{A Couple Hours Later}

"It worked! It actually worked!" Raine exclaimed as the doll stood up.

We all stared at it for a minute.

"This is...underwhelming." Alador stated.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"We can make it so stupid things." Raine suggested.

"Why not." Alador and I said.

{The Next Day}

"See you at school." I said as Raine and I left Alador's place.

"See ya!" Alador said.

He went inside and closed the door. Raine and I started down the road.

"You successfully passed the gay test." Raine told me.

"The...what?" I asked.

"Gay test. It's not a real test, it's a joke I use when someone falls for their same-sex straight best friend." They explained.

"I'm sorry, what are you on about?" I said.

"While I now know Alador's straight, it's still obvious you're into him." They explained again.

"I am not-" I started.

They raised their eyebrow.

"Fine." I sighed. "But don't tell anybody. Not Eda. Not Lilith. Not anybody."

"Okay, okay." Raine laughed.

Alador's house is off the main path so Raine and I have to go through the woods to get back to town. I still don't know why his parents moved out here but at least the woods are nice. We talked as we walked.

{2 Hours Later}

I'm pretty sure Raine and I are lost but I haven't mentioned it yet. It should only take an hour to get from Alador's to the market but we've been out here for 2 and there's no end insight.