06.

chapter six ; breaking the surface

_________________

The next day, Natalie had managed to unpack everything. All she had left to do was to put the personal touches on. As she worked, she was interrupted by her phone ringing. Setting down the picture frame she was using, she rushed to answer her phone. Sliding the green button, Natalie brought her phone to her ear before she moved to turn down the Central City News, "Hello?"

"Natalie? Why haven't you called?" the caller mildly yelled through the phone.

Natalie scrunched her eyebrows together and ran her fingers through her hair, "What..Chris?"

She heard a deep sigh come through the other end of the phone, "Yeah. Chris. Your younger brother. You know, 15 years old. 9 years younger than you. Brown hair, blue eyes. About 5'9"-"

"Chris stop. I know who you are. I don't understand what all of this is about?" Natalie asked as she plopped down on the couch.

"You promised you would call as soon as you settled in. It's been a week, Nattie, and you haven't called," Chris said, disappoint evident.

Natalie's heart sunk as she listened to her brother, "I'm sorry, Chris. I've just been a bit busy unpacking, painting, and getting to know some people here."

"I miss you, Nattie. It's not the same with just me, Trevor, and Mom. Soon it'll just be me and mom when Trevor goes to college this summer," Natalie heard her brother's voice waver.

"Shh, it's okay. You can come over whenever you want, alright? Just take the train, but please make sure it's alright with mom first. If you didn't tell her she'd kill me," Natalie said, trying to make Chris feel better, "and I miss you too. Sorry for not calling sooner, though."

She heard her brother laugh and could practically see his goofy smile in her head, "Oh I'm coming. And soon."

"Good. We can hang out with Caitlin and our friends, go to Jitters, and eat at Big-" Natalie's eyes averted to the tv where there was breaking news and she turned up the volume.

"..saves the day yet again. After an attack at Rathaway Industries, the new vigilante known as the Flash stopped the attacker."

"So the Flash is a hero.." Natalie thought out loud.

"What did you say?" Chris asked, pulling Nat from her thoughts.

Natalie blinked in surprise, forgetting that she was on the phone with her brother.

"Uh nothing. Look, Chris I've gotta go. Finishing up some things at the house. I'll call you later, okay? Love you, bye," Nat said into the phone before she hung up.

Immediately, Nat scrambled to find her laptop, forgetting completely about the picture frame she was working on. Once she found it, she set it down on the glass too of the coffee table and took a seat on the couch as she turned her laptop on.

By the time she'd found her laptop, the story on the Flash was over so she just turned off the tv.

Natalie had no idea why she wanted to figure out so much about the Flash, but one thing she did notice was that Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin all seemed hesitant to tell her about him. She didn't understand why, if he was a hero, wouldn't that mean he wasn't dangerous? Natalie shrugged it off and figured that it was just Caitlin wanting to protect her, trying to be the big older 'sister'. Saying that they had a vigilante in the city might be a little strange to someone who just moved there.

Scrolling through articles of sightings and news reports, Natalie came to an understanding that the Flash was indeed a hero. And he was fast. Super fast. No one has ever seen him or knows who he is. But all they see is a blur. Natalie stumbled across a blog, one she discovered was run by the one and only Iris West, that was all about the Flash. She made a mental sticky note to ask Iris about that later.

Natalie hadn't even notice that it was half past 10 until she felt her stomach grumble. When she looked up from the laptop, the moonlight shone through the darkened living room. Stretching out her back as she stood up, Nat turned the news back on and walked to the kitchen to grab an apple. When she returned, there was yet again news of the Flash, but this time, the anchor was standing by for news.

"..masked hero is currently on the ground. The attacker, the same person who seems to have attacked Rathaway Industries, at the moment appears to have the upper hand.

A witness at the scene, who asks to remain anonymous, called in and said the attacker sent..vibrations from his hands that sent the cars flying over the dam, but that the Flash was there to save everyone. The witness says that the hero seems to be losing right now as the attacker set off some device that has caused the Flash to be sent to the ground. He seems to be writhing in pain.

For the information of our viewers, our witness is well away from the scene and is maintaining their safety. Our witness says that there is something happening with the cars, the radios to be specific, and it appears the device weakening the Flash is disabled.

The Flash is off of the ground and he's won. Once again, the Flash has saved the day. I'm Patricia King and we'll be back after these messages."

"This is one weird ass city," Natalie mumbled to herself as she took a bite out of her apple, "I like that."

She finally decided to call it a night and settled upon finishing up the personal touches another day. Nattie couldn't help but feel like Central City was a puzzle to solve as she got ready for bed. Super fast vigilantes and attackers with vibrations, they were all just pieces.

And Natalie was just getting started on it.

______

25 May, 2015

Hey guys! So this chapter is kind of a filler, but an important one. It shows a teeny bit of Natalie's family and also we see Natalie begin her digging up on the Flash. This is where the adventure begins folks.

Also, this provides what episode we are in. FYI: episode 1x11 The Sound and The Fury of The Flash

Someone commented with the idea of a ship name for the eventual love that will come between a miss Natalie Reed and a mister Barry Allen. Any ideas? I'm bad at these but I'm gonna throw some out and you can vote on it or most likely come up with something better.

Narry
Batalie
Rallen

- omg those are all terrible, that's embarrassing hahaha

Well goodnight, right now it's night for me lol, and much love to my readers. Please feel free to check out my other stories, vote, comment, share and also message me!! I love talking to all of you!

Ughh sorry for this long AN. So sorry loves.

Xx Lillian