Chapter 26-Good Things Fall Apart

Start from the beginning

She scoffs and chuckles disbelievingly. "Of course he wasn't."

Deciding it's best to leave the situation as it is for now, I don't respond, praying that Obie is alright. My thoughts go to Joanna, too, wondering what prompted her to leave work to take Obie to the mall.

Jumping out of the car before it comes to a complete stop, I run through the double doors of the ER. I ask the check-in desk where I can find Obie and they direct me to the waiting room outside of the surgery wing, and then I see Joanna. Oli is here too. 

They're both talking with a family that includes a young girl who appears to be around the same age as Obie. I know immediately it's Camila.

Joanna glances in my direction as I approach. Her hair is disheveled, adding to the signs of tiredness in her eyes, but relief takes over her features as she rushes toward me. I notice the brace on her right hand before she wraps her arms around me.

"I'm so sorry, Sage." Her voice shakes.

I run my fingers over her face, her eyes are red from crying; mascara is smudged at the corners and she looks terrified.

"What happened?"

Joanna's eyes shift down and then she runs her uninjured hand through her messy hair. "We were at the mall—"

"What the hell is this?"

Birdie stands a few feet away from us, looking outraged. "Is this some kind of joke?" She looks between Joanna and I, like she can't believe what she's seeing and I grind my teeth.

"Birdie, not now."

"This is the JoJo Obie's been telling me about?" She glares at Joanna with contempt and anger.

Joanna steps forward. "Miss Lane, I didn't know..."

My head snaps to Joanna. "Wait, you two know each other?"

Her eyes lift to mine and they shine with unshed tears. "I-I...I was going to tell you when I realized—"

"When you realized what, Joanna?" Birdie spits out her name. "That you're the reason my family is not together?"

"Oh, hell no," Oli says from behind us, stalking towards Birdie, but Joanna holds her back.

"Birdie!" I raise my voice.

"Don't Birdie me, Sage. You're messing around with some snot-nosed girl who has no business trying to play mom. Look at what happens when Obie's with her."

"Are you seriously blaming me for something I had no control over?" Joanna steps forward. I tense up ready to jump in if something else happens.

"I'm blaming you for taking him to the mall unsupervised with other minors who I'm willing to bet their parents had no clue of their little get together. Including Sage, right?" Birdie crosses her arms glaring at me.

I focus on Joanna and try to contain my own emotions. "I know you have a lot going on right now, but why wouldn't you tell me you were taking Obie to the mall?"

"Unbelievable." Joanna scoffs, looking around, her hands go to her head. "I thought you knew. Obie said he texted you—"

Birdie chortles. "And you believed him? He's an eleven year old kid! Kids lie all the time."

Joanna snaps her fierce eyes to her. "He's twelve. And Obie doesn't lie."

I shake my head, with regret. "Joanna, I didn't get a text from him. You should have confirmed it with me."

"Coach, you know JoJo wouldn't—"

Closing my eyes, with my temper hanging by a thread. "Oli, for once in your life mind your own goddamn business." The way her eyes widen and the pain in them before she looks away tears at me. But the fear and anger of losing Obie overpowers anything else at the moment. There's no room for reason, picturing Obie in surgery right now and turn back to Joanna.