Chapter 4: How Do You Know?

Start from the beginning

He tapped my shoulder to let me know that he was done and we drove up to the first window to pay, the second, to collect our food and I mentally cheered as I saw the time notifying me that we were still on track.

We made it to the airport, texting my brother like crazy to get an idea of his location but there was no answer so Jun and I sat down, enjoying our food in peace skimming through a magazine filled with really sexy pictures of my girlfriend; until a tap on the shoulder interrupted me, the thick finger belonging to my dad.

I stood up and hugged him; I was excited enough to jump into his large arms that encased my body. My mom who hasn't gained a single wrinkle standing tall with her comforting smile and my brother, standing taller with a much different haircut and a shirt I knew I had to steal from him before he leaves.

"So good to see my beautiful daughter." My dad signed before his eyes caught the figure standing shyly behind me, avocado spread smeared on the corner of his mouth. "Is this the gf?" My dad joked.

"No!" My eyes widened as I let out a laugh, "that's my employee and I'm helping him out for a while... we'll talk more when we get home I have a lot to discuss." And I did from why Jun was here, my girlfriend, her being a celebrity, and— they're gonna hate this one— the cochlear implant.

I grabbed the white bag with grease spots staining it and handed it to them which they accepted with delighted faces. I also made sure not to forget the magazine, hoping I wasn't stealing the airport's property.

They can't get mad at me though, I'm literally the woman on the covers girlfriend.

——

"I just ate and I'm hungry already, what's for dinner?" My dad asked rubbing his abdomen.

"Anything you guys want, just sit back and relax." Meaning every word. They did a pretty good job caring for me— to some extent—and it was my turn to return the service, plus they were my guests and they were allowed to be treated like royalty. After all, they were because they were my family and all that I have in this ginormous world.

Apparently, my brother and Jun had become acquainted in the car because as soon as they stepped into my house they were talking about something enthusiastically, I figured video games because Mike is always playing on his console and I know since he rarely replies. Or maybe he got tired of texting me. Perhaps both.

I showed them to their rooms, my parents having their own and Mike his own, or so I thought because Mike had brought his console not being able to stay away from his addiction for a couple of days and now he's sharing with Jun who I'm guessing will be playing with him all day and night except...

"Do you want something to snack on before work?" I texted him, looking up right away to see his face from my kitchen to the living room through the open space in front of my sink.

His brows relaxed shifting downward and he slouched. Maybe he got too acquainted with Mike, but he's not here for free even if he's not paying rent during his stay he has to fulfill his responsibilities. It's the next important thing I can teach the kid. Call me harsh or whatever but I needed to do more good for him than bad and allowing him to depend on me... all judges would press the red buttons.

"No I'm fine thank you though. I'll be heading out soon." And soon he did indeed head out, leaving me with prying worried parents and an anxious brother to spill all the information I was withholding.

"Talk." My mom signed sitting on an island stool with her chin resting on the palm of her hand and her elbow planted on the countertop.

"If I could I would." I joked hoping it would lighten the situation.