3 • MORE TROUBLE

It was going to be her second week as the Vaibhav Parekh's assistant tomorrow

It was going great but that was the problem.

Ruhika didn't sleep the whole night. Things were too good to be true. She was going to get a stable income with which she could start repaying the loans. If things went on this same track she could even have enough money to get her sister's surgery done.

Her father was a businessman but as it turned out, a very unlucky one.

It was good for some time. Her mother was a loving house wife who took care of the house and her siblings. They were a happy family. That was until dad's business started going down. He started borrowing and loaning money till he couldn't pay any of them back. They sold their house and everything they could but it wasn't enough.

They moved into a small one bedroom house. Her father couldn't handle the sudden change that had occurred to his life that he turned to alcohol for solace. He used the last of his savings to drink himself to literal death. Her sweet mother stepped up as the sole breadwinner and started a small tailoring shop which gave her family atleast two meals a day and paid their education.

Her mother died when Ruhika was 16 because of heart failure. Her sister Raina was 18 then. Raina took up their mother's profession and Ruhi started tutoring children for the extra little money.

When her sister was 23 they identified a hole in her heart which had to be surgically treated. For three young children surviving on a day to day basis it was possible only in dreams.

The problem was,
Ruhika was not much of a dreamer.

She started studying harder than before. Became the first in everything and won scholarships using which she studied more. Even then she would tutor children , do minor typing work and work part time in libraries. Literally any job she could find that would not affect her academics, she did without hesitation.

Now they were finally getting to see the silver lining of the large gray cloud that they had accepted as their doom.

Ruhika was going to do anything to get her life , her family on track but her overthinking mind kept reminding her that it was still too good to be true.

She needed to get all of this out of her mind. She switched on her second hand laptop in search for a movie to watch.

She loved thriller movies. Especially psycho ones. She was not a person to sit down and watch romance after a tiring day but she could gladly watch some gory horror thriller that would get her adrenaline rushing.

Suddenly the electricity was out and she was in complete darkness.

"Didi..." She called out.

"Is it a power cut?"

Without waiting for a reply, Ruhika was up and lighting the candle. Then she went in search of her sister.

"Didi? " She called again to her sister who was sitting still on thee steps of the house holding something in her hands. Ruhika could sense that she was crying.