I was marched further into the tent, down a long carpeted aisle that ended leading up to a black pavilion on a raised dais.

My eyes reached the back of a black kefta, the darkling. His head was bowed, eyes focused on what I assumed to be a map. We stopped once we were a few feet away from the dais and I felt the sudden urge to try to escape, but I knew I was only trying to bring myself some sense of comfort. The darkling rose his head slowly from the map and although he wasn't facing me, I couldn't help but feel intimidated.

"My Heartrenders say we have another Sun Summoner amongst us," He started, his back straightening, "is it true?"

I shook my head in urgency, "No," I started, "No General Kirigan," I said, my accent thick.

I heard a dark laugh escape him and then he was slowly turning to face me, "It seems not only do we have ourselves another summoner but a Fjerdan as well,"

I bowed my head, "Half Fjerdan sir," I said slowly. "And where are your parents?" He asked, "I don't know, sir. I haven't seen them since I was four."

"And were you tested as a child?" He asked a few seconds later, his brown eyes looking me over, I felt a sudden need to hold myself, to turn my back to him. "No, sir," I whispered looking down.

"And why not?" So many questions, I thought irritably, "because I was in Fjerda at the time, sir. I didn't get out until I was ten."

"That's awfully late," The darkling said, curiously. "did you know you could summon?"

I looked back up, shaking my head. "No," I started, "I'm not even Grisha sir."

His lips tugged into a smile, his jaw clenching. "I think my Heartrender and everyone else will say differently."

I furrowed my brows, but then the Darkling was turning back to the table, picking up a small blade, and turning back to me, "How old are you? And what is your name?"

I took in a breath, looking between the dagger and the General, is he going to stab me? "Freya Julikov sir," I started and sucked in a breath, "I am seventeen years old."

The Darkling nodded and slowly descended the steps, eyes piercing mine on the spot. My breath hitched in my throat, how his jaw clenched and unclenched with every breath, how his hair tucked into his ears as it was pushed back, and how well he looked in black.

His strides were built with confidence, written on his face, but lack of emotion in his eyes. He was incredibly tall to me, but that could have also been because my head barely went past his collar. He stopped in front of me, his eyes staring me down as I watched for him to make his next move.

His lips twitched again, but this time he'd meant for me to notice, "May I have your hand?" He inquired, a hand reaching out to mine.

My eyes widened and I looked between his hand and the dagger that was still in his hand, but only did I notice it wasn't a dagger but a bear claw-looking ring. I looked back up at him and shakily asked, "are you going to cut me?"

He chuckled again, "only if you allow me to." I looked at him warily, "what will happen if I do?" I asked curiously.

His lips twitched into a smirk, eyes gleaming, "that is all up to you." He shrugged.