Mekk - Part 5

The first test came at the end of the sermon, when an acolyte appeared through a side door carrying a vase full of blue flowers. Clearly the same flowers that featured on all their flags and religious symbols. He held the vase out to the First Child, but Bulc made no move to take it. Instead, he spoke to his congregation.

"Today we are honoured with a visit by people from another world. People who worship Mekk as we do. As a gesture of welcome and friendship, I would like to invite the Tharian ambassador to perform the dedication ceremony."

He gestured for the acolyte to take the vase to Saturn, his eyes narrowed in sly anticipation, and Strong noticed for the first time that a dozen soldiers had gathered in the tunnel leading from the temple's entrance. No doubt there were more gathered on the other side of the crimson curtain behind him, cutting off the only other exit. If Saturn failed to pass this test, it looked as though things would go badly for them.

The wizard didn't look worried, though. No doubt he was reading the First Child's mind to find out how the ceremony went, and Strong realised that Bulc couldn't have any idea that Saturn could do that. Either the Garusians had no idea that mind reading was possible, or Bulc had some defence against Garusian mind reading magic that was no defence against Tharian magic. Could the Garusians read the Tharians' minds? If so, the game was up. Strong crossed his fingers and prayed silently to the true Gods of Tharia.

Saturn took the vase of cut flowers and held it up over his head while he uttered a long chant in praise of Mekk, pausing now and again to allow the congregation to give various responses in hushed, awe filled voices. Then the wizard carried the vase to each of the other Tharians in turn. Strong took one of the flowers, praying fervently that it was the right thing to do, and breathed a sigh of relief when Saturn went on to Drenn without any cry of outrage being raised. The priest of Samnos also took one of the flowers, but he clasped his golden griffin pendant in his other hand as he did so and his lips moved in a silent prayer in praise of Samnos. When Jop Sonno and Tayl Makral were also holding flowers Saturn moved on to the First Child himself, and then moved along the next row up for the assembled nobles to take one each, while other acolytes moved along the higher rows handing out more until everyone in the temple had one. Saturn then returned to his original position and laid the vase down on the ground, taking one of the last flowers for himself.

Strong saw Bulc's eyes widening in surprise as the wizard continued the ceremony, and by the time he reached the final words the First Child had clearly been convinced and was chanting the responses as fervently as anyone else. Saturn had done it! Strong felt laughter welling up inside him and had to fight hard to keep a straight face. The Garusians believed that they were true believers! They'd passed their greatest obstacle, and had been accepted as brothers in faith.

That more or less ended the service, and the nobles were beginning to make their way to the exits, tucking their Mekk flowers into their clothing or their hair. The Tharians did the same, and then the First Child was approaching them, smiling an outwardly pleasant but false looking smile.

"I've rarely seen the ceremony performed so perfectly," he told the wizard. "Most people have their own preferences regarding wording and emphasis, but you performed it just as I would have."

"A sign from Mekk that we are of the same true faith," replied Saturn. "No doubt He guided me to perform it as you would have, so as to remove all doubt."

"No doubt," said Mekk, frowning a little as if what Saturn had suggested might actually be possible. "Would you like to accompany me to my private chambers where we can talk more comfortably?"

"We would be honoured," replied Saturn, and something in the First Child's voice told Strong that the invitation was only directed at him and Saturn. Drenn and the two soldiers, being of the lower classes, would have to wait elsewhere, and indeed an acolyte was already approaching to lead them to an anteroom where they'd have to wait for their superiors to emerge.