The False Cleric - Part 5

"Hello Thomas," said the cleric, smiling pleasantly, and there was no trace of uncertainty or shyness there. Was it possible that this was, in fact, the real Daleen? The true personality that he'd never known because he'd so seldom seen her? At that moment, though, a crewman passed by behind her, staring in astonishment, and he stopped another man to whisper something to him, the two of them glancing at the cleric of Ramthara before hurriedly averting their eyes and hurrying on their way. It wasn't just him then. If she had concealed her true nature, she'd concealed it from everyone.

"May I come in?" she asked, and Thomas saw the doubt and uncertainty he'd missed return to her eyes, as if she were terrified he'd turn her away like an evil landlord turning a penniless tenant out into the snow. He felt a strange relief for no reason he could identify, but also shame and guilt at how he'd reacted to her appearance. So what if she'd made an effort to make herself more attractive? She'd probably taken a shine to someone. Timothy perhaps. And so what if she'd found some much needed confidence from somewhere? That was good, wasn't it? He smiled, therefore, and stood aside, gesturing for her to enter.

He showed her to the chair while he sat on the edge of the bed. "What can I do for you?" he asked. Maybe she wanted him to tell her about Timothy Birch, he thought. Maybe it was him she was interested in. He could hardly see her falling for the cold, hard priest of Samnos who, like most of his faith, lived a completely celibate life, and the only other unmarried men aboard were soldiers. Generally a rough lot and not at all suitable company for a follower of the Gods.

He laughed inside as he thought this. And who was he to say who was suitable for whom? Wasn't he the son of a simple cobbler? And yet he'd been gifted with the love of a woman who was, by any rational measure of such things, a million miles out of his league. And wasn't his best friend a soldier, little different from any of those down on deck four, married to a lovely woman and with two beautiful children? For all he knew some of the soldiers he was writing off as unsuitable company for a cleric might be educated scholars or devout worshippers. Fine people who'd taken up arms in defence of a way of life they cherished. Don't judge, he scolded himself. Whoever she's fallen for, it's her business and his. Just remember that.

"I just wanted to talk," said Daleen, smiling at him. "It occurred to me a little while ago that you and I have been fellow crew members for some time now, and yet we've hardly seen each other. I thought it was time to do something about that."

"Absolutely," agreed Thomas with an answering smile, "and I'm sure Lenny would love to know you better as well. She's always felt a particular affinity for Ramthara, more than any other of the Gods, just like all the shae folk. I'm sure you'd find you've got a lot in common."

Just for a moment, a shadow seemed to pass over the woman's face, but it was gone before Thomas could be sure it had really been there. Then she was smiling again, and Thomas cursed himself for his foolishness.

"I'm sure we would," she agreed, "and I intend to track her down before long, but for now I just wanted to talk to you."

Thomas shrugged. "Okay," he said. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Everything. All the adventures you've had over the years. I've heard such stories about you! The quest for the Sceptre of Samnos..."

"You know I was involved in that?" said Thomas in surprise. "Thanks to a certain librarian back in the University, most people think it was Resalintas who did that."

"You'd be surprised how many people know the truth," replied the cleric. "The courage you must have shown, and at such a young age. And that was just the beginning! The Orb of Proofing. The mission to the Underworld. The discovery of Kronos and the recovery of the Scrolls of Skava. And all before you turned twenty years old!"