The Realms - Part 3

"You will be paying a visit to our world, of course," said Mung Marcul as his manservant poured them all another drink. "My superiors will, by now, be aware of your presence, and they will be anxious to meet you for themselves. I'm sure there are matters of, mutual interest you'll want to discuss with them."

     Strong nodded. Now that contact had been forced on them, they might as well go the distance. "We look forward eagerly to meeting your leaders," he said therefore, "and I will be sure to tell him of your generosity and hospitality."

     The Garusian Captain inclined his head, accepting the compliment, and raised the glass to his lips, prompting the Tharians to do the same.

     As he was drinking, Strong heard the telepathic voice of Callan in his head, speaking from the bridge of the Jules Verne. "We are now surrounded by thirty enemy ships, with twelve more less than an hour away. Would it be possible to have Saturn back aboard to aid in the ship's defence?"

     "Saturn's needed here," thought back Strong, keeping his face carefully neutral to give no clue that he was in communication with his ship. "If there's trouble, we'll just have to hope that the other wizards can protect the ship."

     "If they attempt to board us, we'll be heavily outnumbered, and the doors and bulkheads are vulnerable to conventional attack, let alone what their wizards might be able to do..."

     "You have the wizard Gown, who can sense Rossemian magic. Use him any way you have to, and if you get into any real trouble, get the ship out of danger. Don't head straight back to the portal, though. We mustn't let them know that's where we come from. Just head out into deep space. Only return to the portal when you can do so unobserved."

     "We can't just abandon you..."

     "You have your orders. Carry them out."

     "Aye, sir." The connection was broken and Strong took another sip of his drink. It was very good, and he wondered whether it might be possible to obtain a stock of it before they left. Perhaps the Garusians would be willing to trade something for it.

     "We'll have to return briefly to our ship," he said, "to make preparations for our prolonged absence. Would it be possible for you to convey us to your world yourself? Unless that would take you too far out of your way, of course..."

     "We were going to Chapuk, our capital city, anyway," replied Mung Markul, smiling broadly. "We would be honoured to carry you there. We will send word ahead, so that proper preparations can be made for your arrival."

     "That is very gracious of you," said Strong, rising and prompting Saturn and Drenn to rise also. "We will return to your ship within the hour."

     He led the way back on deck, and the officers of the Hopu lined up to see them off as they climbed carefully back onto the walkway of the Jules Verne. Looking around at the starry sky and the looming globe of the planet hanging beside them, he saw the tiny shapes of other ships holding position in a ring around them. A ring, he thought in amusement. Not a globe. How can they overlook the possibility that we might try to escape upwards, or downwards? How could they be so totally two dimensional in their thinking? Not that he was complaining, of course. If it did come to hostilities, he'd be glad to have such a strong tactical advantage over the Garusians.

     Callan was there to meet him as he stepped through the open airlock, and Strong paused a few moments to update him on the situation. "If you'll forgive me for saying so," said the first mate, looking deeply unhappy at the news, "It is my opinion that placing yourself in the hands of those people is a grave mistake. The temptation to take you hostage..."