Escapism (Tim Wright)

Start from the beginning

Shortly after Y/n got buckled, Tim took his place in the driver's seat as he reached over to fire up the engine. looking at the rearview mirror, Y/n noticed small cardboard boxes. Some revealing their contents through the opening and others are tightly sealed with black scotch tape. Peculiar. "What's with the boxes?", Y/n inquired curiously. Tim shot a glance at the rearview mirror, a subtle hint of internal pain lingered while looking over the packages. "I'm moving. Today, actually." Y/n shifted away from the passenger window and stared at the burly man in bewilderment for a moment. He didn't look over, holding strong with his grip on the wheel and erect posture. Preventing the possibility of anyone changing his set decision with a pitiful glance or trying to persuade him out of his choice. Noticing Y/n didn't say anything else, Tim shifted gear and pulled out.

--

The men arrived at a local coffee shop that was a short distance away from the park. Holding open the door before them, Tim followed Y/n after him into the mellow interior. It was the time of day when business was slowing down so patrons were minimal. The smell of coffee beans paired with vanilla, cinnamon, and other complementary flavors hung heavy in the cozy atmosphere. Parallel from the entrance stood the ordering station with its menu plastered against the wall. White chalk spelled out multiple choices between drinks and even treats that can go along with the coffee concoctions. Y/n gazed up along with Tim as a worker quickly announced; "I'll be with you in a second! Take your time.", as they glanced over all the options. Already knowing what he wanted, Tim turned his attention back to the single barista running the station currently. "You know what you're gonna get?", Tim smirked gently at the man beside him who continued to stare up at the menu board. After a moment, Y/n nodded his head to himself. "I'll just get a simple macchiato if that's alright?". Tim chuckled silently and waved Y/n off. "It's alright, it's on me. My treat."

The barista arrived behind the counter in front of them, ready to take their orders. "Hi, what would you two be having?", Putting on her best smile, the lady in the apron patiently waited with clasped hands. "Can we get a black coffee and a macchiato? That'll be all.", Tim pulled out a twenty from his wallet before handing it over the counter. Quickly, the server went to work with the drinks while Tim trailed Y/n to a table by the store's front window two seats from a couple. Y/n sat across from the deep brunette in one of two wooden chairs. It was quiet, though a comforting quiet. The soft clanking of the coffee machines and distant chatter below a whisper accompanied the silence. For a moment, Y/n could have almost forgotten about the remembrance of Jay's absence this morning. Or the fact Tim, his only other friend, was leaving town for good. The train of thought was derailed when a sudden weight was cast upon his hand. A slightly calloused hand delicately squeezed his own, which lay limp on the cool tabletop. Trailing up the arm, facing him, was just Tim. Tim. Who held his hand. The light reflecting from the wide window made it seem as if a glow was naturally radiating out of Tim's pours. Y/n felt heat bloom across his face and down his neck, tears nearly pricking the surface of his eyelid. This simple action nearly broke Y/n. But with a thick gulp, he pushed back the tears that nearly broke free from its fleshy barrier. The slight warmth of a blush lingered, as he smiled sadly at the lovely man in front of him. The connection broke when Tim's name was called out from across the room. "I'll be right back.", Tim says before scooting out of his seat to retrieve their delights, patting the hand he was holding a second ago. Soon after, he returned with both drinks in either hand, which were served in simple porcelain coffee mugs. Y/n took the macchiato offered softly to him. "Thanks, I appreciate it. I've never been here before.", Y/n thanked as he ran his thumb up and down the handle of his drink. Tim eased the mug away from his lips after taking a sample of the tart beverage.

"I come here often. It's sort of an escape from all the stress in my life. Hopefully, I can share that piece of serenity with you by taking you here."

"It did ease some pain. Your presence especially... How come you're leaving town?", Y/n asked, noticing the infamous weight residing back in his chest.

Tim took a moment to look out the window as he carefully organized a sentence in his head. Assuming Y/n hadn't been affected by the slender sickness, at least yet, he didn't want to bring up the abnormality of the entire situation. Especially what had actually happened to Jay. The hard expression Tim wore dissipated after having figured out how to explain his situation to Y/n. The last thing he wanted was to accidentally distress Y/n further. "A lot of reasons. I've always meant to break off from this place but something always kept me back. After the disappearance of your brother, that was the final straw for me. I want a fresh start.", Tim gave a solemn reply. Heat grew intense at Tim's palms, releasing the tightening grip he had noticeably on the mug. Y/n hummed lowly in response, taking the remaining of his drink into his lips. The heaviness in his eyes didn't lighten, it only grew heavier it felt like. "Let's take you home, N/n", Tim got up from his seat, leaving the half-full black coffee at the table. Y/n scooted out from his seat as well before making their way out of the shop, the bell above chiming cheerily goodbye.

-

The sun latched on desperately to the day that was nearing its end. The Mercury's low lights focused on the lonely home that sat sandwiched between two other neighboring residents. Home sweet home. Funnily enough, Y/n would have preferred being anywhere but home. Tim had graciously offered to walk Y/n to the front door before heading out towards the dwindling daylight. A soft breeze picked up and encouraged the song of the metal chime that hung from the porch ceiling. Y/n failed to ignore the doormat he stood on after after climbing the three steps. It was light brown, with black embroidery in the middle saying "Hi. I'm mat." that also framed around the edges. It was a gift from Jay the day Y/n got his first house, which was only three years ago. The two gave a quick hug farewell, squeezing each other lightly before Y/n went to step inside after unlocking the door. The creaking lumber caused Y/n to freeze in place at the door unexpectedly. "W-wait!", Quickly, Y/n turned to grab Tim's free wrist before he managed to take the last step. Startled, Tim turned to meet what looked like a scared child. The fear of loneliness was heavily present in Y/n's facial expression. Tim patiently waited in place. "Please don't go. I don't want to be alone.", Y/n pleaded with welling recurring sadness. Tim looked at the car, to the sky, then back at Y/n. Chewing his inner lip, contemplating, Tim finally reciprocated and encased his hand with Y/n's once more. "Okay, just for a little bit." Y/n released the breath he had been holding and thankfully brought Tim inside, refusing to break contact. As if afraid a magical gust of wind would blow the brunette away and out of his reach. Inside was dimly lit by the incoming rays of light from hastily drawn blinds. The living room (which was directly in front of the door) looked empty, with nothing to give the home its unique charm or character.

Tim frowned at the sight as he was directed toward the couch. He couldn't imagine how lonely it must have been here. Left with only your thoughts. Because of that, the worry over daylight faded and he appreciated his time here with Y/n. Tim laid his back across the couch, letting his head rest comfortably against the cushioned armrest. Y/n stared for a moment in confusion at him before understanding the gesture. Cautiously, he rested on Tim's flannel-covered chest and slithered his arms beneath his torso, his forearm sandwiched between the weight of their bodies and the sofa. Tim moved one hand under his head and the other to gently stroke the soft length of Y/n's hair, letting his fingers weave in and out of the strands. Stillness blanketed the bodies while the two consumed each others company. Words were unnecessary in the situation, as actions were enough to satisfy. For a moment, Y/n had almost fallen asleep after being lulled by the steady beating of Tim's heart. Minutes had passed before Tim whispered an offer under his rough breath; "Why don't you come live with me?". Y/n's eyes snapped open. The unfamiliar feeling of a smile stretched steadily across his face. "Yes.. I would love that.", Y/n accepted, smothering his face deeper into Tim's chest and tightened his grip. "Let's escape this place, together."

A/N-
Super sorry for the long ass update. I haven't had time to write and so I apologize for the drop in quality.