Not So Lonely (Tim Wright)

A/N- Just wanted to mention that I'm taking the opportunity to practice and experiment my writing since this is a oneshot book.

TW: Brief mentions of sensitive topics regarding s*icidal acts

It’s been three months since I’ve been admitted to Bryce Mental Hospital in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Which was an hour and a half away from home, although I was sent here for its convenience. Since my stay, I’ve learned quickly to keep off the clinicians radar that worked here. Rejecting prescribed medication they gave you at scheduled times and acting out against their wishes always didn’t end well from what I’ve seen from former and current patients. 

Family visits weren’t often but whenever someone did come and visit, it was always my mom; whose conversations remained dry just as they were before I had the breakdown that got me in here in the first place. You’d think witnessing your child on the brink of death would make you more sympathetic, but apparently not. I held no grudge though, understanding that it would have come off as attention seeking to anyone who didn’t go through what I did. She treated the situation as, “this is what you get for making stupid decisions”; it wasn’t worth fighting over anymore. She could have tried to understand at least, but she was too strong-willed.

Other than the twice a month visits, I was alone. It wasn’t anything different from before but having your freedom restricted feels like you’re in a whole different world. That not like anything in the outside world. Cold, uncomfortable, and disorienting. 

Being at this ward feels like life has stopped; freezing in time while everyone else’s continues to persevere forward. Scanning around the lounge room, it seemed like no one else was as aware of that feeling as me. Either that or they’ve drearily accepted that this is how their life is going to play out until they are eligible to be released to the public again. As I continued to silently observe the other patients as they did whatever they could to pass time, my gaze unexpectedly met with another's from across the room. 

It was a man; deep brown greasy hair that could have been mistaken for black, neatly groomed sideburns that just barely reached his broad yet soft jawline, and alluring chocolate eyes.

I’ve seen him in group therapy sessions. He always sat three seats from where I sat in the circle. He hardly ever spoke. I pursed my lips together in thought for a moment while shooting my eyes away from his. 

What was his name again..

Oh yeah, Tim!

That’s all I knew though, it was the only thing he introduced himself with. Facing away from the window next to me, I looked over to where he stood leaning against the edge of the wallpaper, but just as I did so, his back was already disappearing back into the hall. A gasp escaped into the silent stuffy air to my surprise. A wrenching feeling formed in my chest in response to his absence, the ball of tangled cords getting tighter as I continued to stare at the empty space of where he stood only a second ago. Why was I upset that he left the room? We hardly knew each other and I don’t even think we’ve had one conversation together. But nonetheless, I yearned for those tired eyes to peer upon me once more. 

As if I were controlled by an unknown force, I crawled out of my fetus position on the faded teal camelback couch and stood to my feet. I ignored the nurses and doctors that looked me over as I strolled down the echoing hallway, I had to talk to him. At least once. 

Something about Tim was different from what I felt with the others here. A sense of familiarity waffed off that stoic appearance of his. As if I just knew we had gone through the same hardships.