Stay The Night (Jay Merrick)

You were heading back from the grocery store when you saw a very familiar car sitting solemnly in an empty parking lot. Since it was nearly midnight, seeing Jay's car in a parking lot at dusk struck you as odd and your curiosity was peaked. You pulled in slowly before parking your car into an open parking spot next to the silver Honda. 

You had no sense of fear as you stepped out into the dark afternoon. The air fresh and crisp with the promise of rain from the dark clouds looming above.

 Circling around the car, you peered cautiously into the drivers seat window. No one was in either of the front row seats but instead someone was huddled in the back, a black mass that squirmed every so often. You haven't heard from Jay in awhile which had worried you since. You knew about what happened to his house but you didn't think he's been homeless all this time. At least in a hotel or at someone's house but not his car?

Eagerly to get him somewhere more suitable, you knocked on the back window a few times until getting his attention. "Jay, is that you? Wake up!", you pressed your face to the window with squinted eyes. The silhouette slowly lifted itself up before looking back at you from the other side of the door. The man slumped his way over and you heard the pop of a lock, the door opening after. "(Y/N)? What are you doing here?", Jay stayed in his spot though held the door open with one hand. His face still taking on a glum appearance from his heavy sleep the minute after. 

"I could ask you the same"

Jay moved his hand to rub at his face before readjusting himself.

"How'd you find me then?"

"I was coming back from shopping until I spotted your car. How long have you been sleeping in your car?", gesturing towards his portable home. 

"Uh maybe about a month or so now.."

You were immediately hit with shock at his response. Jay's been living like this for a whole month and not once had he called you for any kind of help. You were baffled. "What! Why haven't you just called me for help? I wouldn't care if you stayed at my place for a bit, better than seeing you live in your damn car!". Jay rubbed his shoulder while directing his gaze away from yours, you had a good point. 

"Let's not sit around in the cold any longer, you're coming with me tonight. You need an actual place to sleep, you look exhausted", not giving time for Jay to protest, you shifted your heal and went back to your car. After getting situated back in the drivers seat, you rolled down the passenger window to call out to your new roommate for the night. 

"Take whatever you need from your car and let's get going. We can get your car tomorrow, I don't want you driving while your deprived of sleep"

Hastily, Jay bounced up from his seat before rummaging through his compartments and trunk. Then locking his car and transferring to yours. You noticed that all that he had brought were camera equipment and a bag full of what looked to be tapes. As strange as it was, you chose not to ask as Jay placed all his belongings into the backseat before coming to sit next to you. 

"You remind me of my mom", Jay lazily joked after be buckled himself in.

You laughed sarcastically at his comment though you silently agreed. Pulling back onto the main road, softly Jay said; "Thank you".

You placed a hand briefly on his shoulder, "I've missed you since you've been gone and to see you in such a state- I had to do something". 

"Well, I appreciated it a lot"

---

Fifteen minutes later, your headlights illuminated your residence and you both got out. Jay went ahead and grabbed his stuff before you locked your car up for the night. You headed towards the door with Jay quietly trailing behind you. The neighborhood was mellow as usual, the silence accommodated with the rustling of the grocery bag's in your hands and the jingle of your keys as you unlocked the door with the other.