Chapter 12: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Start from the beginning

I can't believe this is happening. There has to be a better plan, there HAS to be.

The two walked out of the bedroom into the living room and saw Nick's mom seated while another woman was working diligently in the kitchen. I guess Nick's chef finally showed up.

Nick stood in front of his mom and cleared his throat. Nat could tell by his stance and his hands that kept fidgeting with the hem of his shirt that he was nervous.

"Uh hey mom, sorry I missed your texts. I was, uh, in the shower."

"Were you showering since last night?" Nick's mom said as she raised her eyebrow at her son.

"Uhhh sorry I was uh busy." Nick said, pressing his lips together after. He glanced at Nat who was staring daggers back at him.

"So uh, let me just introduce you two," Nick started a little too shaky for Nat's liking. "Nat, this is my mom Carol. Mom, this is my girlfriend Nat."

GIRLFRIEND?!!!!

Girlfriend?? He did NOT just call me his girlfriend. What the hell was he thinking?! He doesn't know what he's doing at ALL.

Nat opened her mouth ready to set the record straight but was immediately silenced by Nick placing his arm on the small of her back. Something about how strong his hand felt right above her butt sent butterflies to her stomach. She closed her mouth and tried to resist the blush that was coming on.

"Mom, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about her. We haven't been dating for long but I'm okay with you two meeting. I really, really like her." Nick made eye contact with Nat and he raised his eyebrows a bit. She could tell his words were half a performance he was putting on for his mom but half his true feelings.

At this, Nick's mom Carol rose from the couch and looked at Nat. Her expression now was hard to read, but Nat could tell she was being studied.

"Huh. So you're the girl Nick was asking me how to impress. Well at least you're pretty." She said in a tone that implied it was meant as light banter.

Nat tried her best to giggle earnestly. "Yes ma'am. Um, I'm sorry again about what happened earlier. I definitely should've been more polite and introduced myself first. I promise I'm normally more put together." Nat stopped herself before she let out too much word vomit.

Carol Bosa looked Nat up and down and thought carefully about her next words. Eventually she let out, "That's all water under the bridge. How about we get to know each other over some breakfast?" She asked surprisingly genuine.

"Oh no, I don't want to interrupt any mother-son bonding time. I know you probably don't get much time to see each other so I want to give you both space, with all due respect."

Carol began to shake her head and insist Nat stay, but it was Nick's voice that took control of the room.

"Nat, have breakfast with us. Don't worry about it being awkward, I want you here." Nick looked at Nat and she could tell this was more a command than it was a request.

"Um..." Nat started but couldn't finish. She was taken aback by Nick's sudden stern tone. Nick could read the uncertainty in her face so he kept going.

"Mom, I think you and Nat are going to have a lot to talk about. She's a big fan of Grey's Anatomy too." Nat's face was definitely rose tinted by now.

"Oh isn't that nice!" Carol beamed at Nat. "I haven't been super crazy about the direction of the show this past season but I'd love to hear what you've been thinking. Come on, let's go sit down."