Chapter 13: Breaking the Ice

Start from the beginning

The leaders of the colony became monarchs after the new civilization was inspired by the nearby nations. They uprooted their rookeries in the dangerous tundra and marched for the glaciers, deeming them as protection from the howling winds. They reached a peace treaty with the Shiverians; if the Penguins shared their Power Star, the seal-like beings would leave them be and even trade with them.

Gone were the days of milling around in squalor and days of hunger. With their newfound intelligence and allies, they set out to establish their new home. From the glaciers around them, the penguins built the gates, Frigid Metropolis, and the Cool, Cool Castle. They made a name for themselves by inventing ice games, establishing their mining and fishing industries, and other feats. Despite their small stature and meek appearance, the Penguins proved a powerful force.

At the end of his grand presentation, Boreas was praised with claps and honks. While the family and Mario moved on to the next sculpture (a depiction of the current royal family), Luigi felt gravitated toward an unfinished carving; he instantly recognized it as he got closer. Mario was caught mid-air, his fist connected with Bowser's jaw; Peach floated above them, halberd pointed down. Meanwhile, Luigi was behind the three, aiming his shot. Despite being incomplete, the detailing was impressive. They even capture the movements of Mario's fighting stance, Peach's dress, and Luigi's ready-to-throw pose.

Luigi found this way of saving history fascinating; a snapshot forever preserved in enchanted ice. Though, he could spot some biased details. They took some creative liberties with Mario's height and physique. And Luigi has been stared at by the king enough to know that he is not cross-eyed.

Snickering slightly, the man in green moved away from the sculpture, content with his newfound knowledge. After a few moments of milling around, Luigi decided it was time to turn in for the night; tomorrow he has a busy day ahead of him.

[XXX]

With a sonorous yawn, the Koopa King exited the airship, Junior in one hand and a steaming Koopa-sized cup of coffee. He groaned, exhausted. Which makes no sense; his eating habits haven't changed, and the biggest source of his worry was back safely in his arms. His training regimen was more energy-consuming than the meager manual labor he's been doing. So why...

Why is he so damn tired?

The Glacial Gates will be complete tomorrow, that is if the weather holds up. They'll be out of here within the week, after spending almost a month and a half in this wasteland. Junior is back. This whole ordeal was a step closer to being over. Shouldn't he be happy? Or at least relieved? Bowser snorted, his head pounding.

"Your head's still hurting, Dad?"

The king hissed slightly at the sound of Junior's voice. "I'll be fine..."

His son didn't need to worry about that. Maybe it's just burnout from all the worrying Bowser did when he thought he lost his son. Taking another gulp of coffee, the Koopa King looked around. His soldiers busied themselves coating the gates with snow (why they ordered him to do that, he never bothered to ask) and removing the scaffolding. He could spot a squad of Shy Guys performing maintenance of the airships; Idaten flew above him, checking on everybody from a distance. Kamek was absent. Bowser guessed the old man was still trying to remove Peach's spell from the helm... Despite the fact the Koopa King kept telling him not to.

Maybe his adoptive father was the source of his headache.

Bowser put his son down; the koopaling gently took his father's claw and watched him do his rounds. As the two walked around, army members waved or saluted. Just like him, they were overjoyed that their prince was back safe and sound. The King and Prince of the Darklands returned their gestures and continued on their way. Now and then, Junior would run off and mess with some of them by playfully running between them or sneaking up on them to scare them. Bowser didn't mind that too much. The royal court was pretty much extended family to them; plus, things have been too quiet around here. Ever since Luigi brought him back morale has gone up-