Chapter 10

tw: self harm!

Shadow’s pov:

I run into the forest where I see the smoke rising. I really hope Sonic is going to be okay…

Wait, I can teleport.

I chaos control over there and find Sonic running around trying to put the fire out. When I get closer I see how burnt up he is, he’s running in a circle repeatedly in an attempt to put it out, but I can tell he’s decelerating drastically. 

“Sonic!” I shout as loud as I can, he doesn’t hear me because he’s still running. I get close to him and try to stop him.

“Shadow move! I have to put the fire out!” He says shoving me aside once he gets close to me. I stumble and almost fall with how hard he had shoved me. 

I watch as he keeps slowing down, the tornado thingy he makes keeps getting bigger and dirt flies everywhere. 

The fire stops and Sonic stops too, now there's just dirt, burned trees, and robot parts everywhere. 

He falls and I run over to him, we can all clean the mess later and give Eggman a proper burial. 

Sonic lays on the ground unconscious and I can see that he obviously tried to stop the fire in multiple different ways, I don’t know what he tried though.

He has burns, cuts, flesh wounds, and even parts where his fur had been ripped off were everywhere on his poor body. He’s always trying to help, even if he has to put himself in danger, and even near death, he’s died a few times trying.

I pick up his lifeless body bridal style and quickly run to Tails’ workshop. 

I run inside and Rouge gasps and Tails has tears in his eyes. He’s whispering something but I can’t hear what he’s saying. I can’t hear anything at all. 

I’m about to lose him…

Please not again…

Maria…

“I need a moment to breathe, the smoke got into my lungs pretty good and I need some fresh air.” I say, Tails nods and Rouge just looks at me worriedly. 

Then it hits me. 

She knows.

She knows, and I know she knows what I’m thinking of doing, she knows I’m not just going out to ‘breathe’. But she doesn’t try to stop me. She knows what I do everytime I think about losing Maria.

(Tw)

I run home and dig my blades out from under my mattress and numb the pain…

Oh no… I tried to stop it. I’m trying to stop it. I’m trying so hard I really am… 

Please, I don’t want to feel it all again.

Start of flashback

We run down the dark long hallway of the ARK, and I hear nothing but the sounds of the G.U.N soldiers' shoes slapping on the ground and their shouting. They’re saying scary things like:

“Kill everyone that knows about Project Shadow!”

“We’ll take Project Shadow for ourselves and use it as a weapon!”

“Project Shadow would be a useful item.”

“Search everywhere, leave no where untouched.”

“Leave no one alive!”

I hear a shot ring out and Maria falls clutching her chest. 

If only I had known.

“Maria, we need to get going, get up!” I whisper shout to make sure the G.U.N soldiers don’t hear me, I don’t know if they know what I sound like but they really don’t care, if they hear me they’ll kill Maria and I didn’t want that to happen. I wanted to have a chance to get on Earth with Maria.

If only I had known.

I help her get up and we make it to the escape pod room. I burst into the pod expecting her to be right behind me.

If only I had known.

I look behind me to see the door shutting right behind me.

I look back and that's when I see it.

Maria had been shot...

How could I have been so foolish?

Her beautiful blue dress was soaked in blood...

“M– Maria?” I stammered, I felt hopeless and confused… 

She just smiles at me, which angers me.

“Maria! Get in, you still have a chance!” I shout and she just shakes her head sadly, tears rolling down her rosy cheeks.

“Promise me that you'll give the people on Earth a chance…To be happy…” She says between painful groans. Tears sting in my eyes as she flips around some controllers and messes with some switches.

“MARIA!” I scream, banging on the walls trying to get out and bring her with me. 

“Sayonara…Shadow the Hedgehog..” She says, I watch as she falls lifelessly to the ground. I pound even harder.

I still have a chance!

She still has a chance to live! 

No!

Please!

If only I had known…

I keep banging as the pod falls.

If only I had known…

I keep crying and crying as her death plays on an infinite loop in my head.

If only I had known…

“NO, MARIAAA!” I scream as it keeps falling towards the Earth.

If only I had known…

I give up banging and sit in shame.

If only I had known…

I fell unconscious.

If only I had known, it might’ve had a different outcome. She might have actually lived. 

It’s all my fault!

Dammit why didn’t she tell me?

It should’ve been me instead of her.

None of this would have happened if I wasn’t created…

If only I had known…

End of flashback