Chapter 8

Shadow’s pov:

I watch Rouge roll her eyes at me one last time before she goes to sleep. I smirk and decide it’s a nice enough night to go for another walk. Since I’m staying at Sonic’s house I should get my gun from my house. Enough has happened. I should go pay Eggman a small visit soon…

He caused harm to Sonic and Rouge too many times, but he finally crossed the line with what he did to Rouge.

I’ve never actually seen her cry before, so seeing her cry like that made me want to sweep her into my arms to tell her she’s okay. But I’d rather not have her make fun of me for caring.

We’re like siblings, she’s the careless one while I’m the responsible one. I care about her more than she really knows. I have to be better, Rouge and I are the most iconic duo, name a better one. Wait no we’re the Ultimate duo!

I make a mental note to myself to tell her that.

I’ve honestly started to be less and less annoyed in Sonic’s presence.

When I saw him singing today I imagined that he was singing about me. I know he wasn’t, I felt so much love towards him…

How the hell did this happen?

I look out to the rolling ocean. The waves peacefully crash on the shore. I smell the expected salty scent.

I need to get this hedgehog out of my head.

Sonic’s pov:

I wake up and look around. Rouge is still sleeping in her sleeping bag. I don’t see Shadow though… Where is he?

I debate whether I should wake Rouge up or not.

He could be hurt or in trouble! I should wake her up.

I get out of bed and shake her gently. She groans and opens her groggy eyes.

“What do you want?... Go bug Shadow…” She mumbles.

“Shadow’s gone!” I shout, shaking her harder.

“Stop shaking me! He probably went on a walk, he normally does that. Why are you so worried anyway?” She smirks at me.

“Because I didn’t know!” I say, my face starts to get hot.

“You like him don’t you?” Her smirk grows and she chuckles when my face gets hotter. “It’s so funny watching you and him get so red!”

“I- n- no!” I stutter, I need to come up with some excuse.

“Don’t worry he likes you too big blue, now let me sleep.” She rolls over and I’m left mesmerized by her words.

He likes me?

I’m still blushing when I see Shadow walk into the room.

“Rouge what did you do this time?” He mumbles glaring at her.

“He tried to create an earthquake by shaking me just because he didn’t know where you were.” She groans. “Will you let me sleep now?”

Shadow looks at me and I feel my face get hotter. “I go on walks at night sometimes. Don’t worry I still have to babysit you until you get better.”

I get back into bed and a sigh escapes my lips. I look up at the window Shadow is standing at, he’s looking outside. He looks so peaceful. The scene is enough to make a smile tug at my lips.

He must have noticed me staring because he looks back at me. “It’s pretty outside.”

“Just like you” We both say my face gets hot and I see him blush.

“I call dibs on being third wheel!” Rouge shouts out of nowhere which scares the absolute shit out of me so I jump all the way to space and I fall out of bed. I was really close to the edge anyways.

“ROUGE!” Shadow shouts watching me fall and Rouge bursts into laughter, I freeze for a moment and then start to laugh as well.

I hear Shadow chuckle and I immediately stop laughing and take a peek at him.

He’s…Laughing too.

I smile, I love his laugh, I love everything about it.

“I have to use the bathroom.” Rouge says getting up and leaving.

Once she’s gone Shadow just looks at me with a small smile and sighs then goes back to looking out of the window.

I climb back in bed and a small sigh escapes my lips.

I really wish I wasn’t sick, but if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten to experience this…

I just stare at him as I fall asleep, he’s so pretty.