1

CHAPTER ONE
"The 118"

It was a warm and sunny day in Los Angeles. The sun was shining and Amelia Buckley had a big smile on her face. It was the happiest smile she had in a long time. She had just escaped a terrible past and today marked a fresh start for her.

She had arrived in LA quite a few weeks ago with her eight year old daughter, Olivia; and they had stayed with Amelia's brother, Buck, for a while. It was only a temporary thing while Amelia went through training to become a firefighter. As soon as she could, she found an apartment and moved out of Buck's place. It was a secure building and in a good neighbourhood, and Amelia felt safe there. Safer was the better word. She hadn't truly felt safe in a long time.

At the present moment in time, she stood outside of the 118's firehouse and felt a whole lot of emotions at once. Nervous, excited, scared...the list went on. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "It's okay, Mia. You can do this." She whispered to herself.

Her eyes opened and she took her first step inside. She ran her fingers along the bright red fire truck to her left and smiled again. She still couldn't quite believe that this was going to be her life now. Just a few months ago, she was serving drinks in half-clean glasses at a shady bar in Boston. Now, she was a rookie firefighter in Los Angeles.

"Can we help you?"

Amelia looked up and saw two firefighters standing on the balcony, looking down at her. Nervously, Amelia shifted the duffle bag on her shoulder. "Um, yes, actually, uh, I'm Amelia Buckley. The new recruit." She said with a smile, but she could definitely tell she had come across as a bag of nerves; which she was.

"Ah, Buck's little sister."

"That's me."

Amelia and Buck were twins and unfortunately for Amelia, Buck was born first and he had never let her forget that. She had twenty six years of him referring to her as his 'little sister', even though only five minutes separated them.

The two firefighters walked down the stairs and over to Amelia. "I'm Hen and this is Chimney." Hen smiled.

"Chimney?" Amelia questioned.

"Not my real name, just a nickname with a long story." Chimney said. "So, tell us about you. Your brother didn't give us much to go on."

Amelia smiled and told them about being a single mother and Buck's twin sister, and that she had worked as a bar tender before moving to LA, but that was it. She didn't tell them anything else. Hen and Chimney were complete strangers, so why would she tell them the truth? Her own brother didn't even know the full truth, just parts of it.