Chapter 9

I guess I didn't take the news of my family's massacre as expected.

After I was tranquilized, I was sent to Stanford Psych Ward and strapped down to a bed...

I guess I didn't take being in a strange room strapped down to a bed as expected either because the bitches took me out again.

The next time I awoke in a white room strapped to the bed, I panicked and almost went dumb again, but this time I saw a friendly face.

The fog slowly began to clear, and I began to realize I couldn't move when I heard the far-yet-close voice call, "Shi?"

I blinked a few times and realized the familiar face was Vicky's. She looked somewhere in between worried and happy.

"Shi, you alright?"

My mouth was dry and my tongue thick. I tried to talk, but it was hard. My brain was having a hard time forming words. There was a nasty taste in my mouth. "You hungry? Thirsty?" she asked hurriedly.

I nodded and felt a straw go into my mouth.

My eyes were closed again as I sipped feeling myself slip back into the black timelessness. I coughed a little as my weak throat muscles failed to direct the liquid. But that didn't stop me; I drank like I'd never drink again.

Once the water was gone I took a deep breath letting the liquid do its job.

I was beginning to realize where I was and why I was there. Vicky was silent as I lay there. I opened my eyes slowly letting the bright light in bit by bit.

Then I tried to speak.

"What happened?" I asked feeling the word dribble out of my mouth.

Maybe it was a nightmare.

"They said you had a break down, and you were out of control," Vicky told me.

"No! Vick, what happened?" I said again knowing she knew what I meant.

I watched as tears came to her eyes.

She reached down and unstrapped my left hand.

"You ain't no animal Shi," she said untying my other arm then moving to my feet.

I closed my eyes waiting for the answer. I was surprisingly calm, which I guess was an effect of the drugs.

"My dad won't tell me nothing; he won't even let me see the news."

There was more silence. I knew Vicky was too nosey to let that stop her and too good a friend, practically family, to not find out what happened.

"Your house caught fire, Shi, and Poppa, your mom, and G-dub were in there."

I felt the tears burning through my closed eyelids.

"Poppa was the only one..." she trailed off. I tried to keep my voice under control as I said, "Is Pop... is Poppa gonna be..." I let it hang there in silence.

Vicky's voice was choked up when she said, "Shi, Poppa died last night."

I took a deep, slow, unsteady breath and nodded at her. I could feel the tears on my cheeks. I wanted to try to dry my eyes, but my hands were too heavy. "Free?" I was staring at my best friend, my sister as she clawed the tears away from her eyes.

She was shaking her head. "Nobody knows where Free is, the paper's saying he..."

The door opened, and a nurse walked in.

"Good afternoon, look who-" her eyes dropped on my restraints and then my tear streaked face.

She hesitated then closed the door. Seconds later Mr. Lopez came in. He eyed his daughter suspiciously and then turned his gaze to me.

"Shianne," he said and tried a smile. "Are you ready to get out of here?"

I wasn't sure; I just wanted to be shot up again and to go to sleep forever. But I managed to nod.