Chapter 5

Free was sitting on a bench at Jack Farrell Park when he saw the first car roll by. It seemed to be creeping by.

Free took a hit of the blunt and pointed towards the car as it passed. He spoke while trying to hold the smoke in.

“Who dat?” he asked passing the blunt to his best friend, AJ.

AJ shrugged, “Probably lost.” He took a hit.

Free shook his head, “Don’t feel right. Let’s bounce.”

Free was moving before AJ could say anything.

Running, AJ caught up with Free. “Where we goin’?”

“Let’s hit Shawna’s.”

“Oh, we gonna hit? I been meaning to get my dick sucked,” AJ said.

“Nah, just get out the streets,” Free responded.
He was crossing the street as a car turned the corner and slowly crept towards him. It slowed almost to a stop. Free stood directly in front of the car some twenty feet away.

Though the car was dark, his sight was good enough to catch a glimpse of the driver. Free’s mouth went dry as his heart began pounding. He turned to AJ just as the car burned rubber and accelerated.

“AJ!”

He heard two loud pops and saw AJ fall, eyes wide.

He turned and saw bright white as the car hit him, sending him sailing over the top and into the air. When he hit the ground his sight was gone; everything was black. He could hear voices and feel the cold air freezing his limbs.

“Punk ass bitch!”

He felt someone kick him and then his body jerked around. His body was screaming in pain as he landed hard on something soft.

The car peeled off burning rubber.

Free could see AJ’s face in his mind as the pain shot through his legs. Shortly after it started moving the car stopped. Free was dragged out into the cold night air.

“Let me see his face,” he heard a familiar voice say.

Free tried to focus, but the pain kept him blinded.

“Aye, Cuz, you remember me?”

Free was silent as he tried to ignore the pain seizing his body and make himself see again. However, he couldn’t. He saw nothing; he was blinded.

The voice laughed. “Who’s the bitch now, Cuz? Caught yo’ duck ass slippin’.”

There was more laughter.

“Aye, Cuz, I gotta question fo’ yah. Free, do you know where yo’ family is, raw?” Spin pistol whipped Free.

“Bitch ass nigga, just like a hoe,” Free said putting a face with the voice as he spit out blood.