Chapter Six - Croissant, Anyone?

Start from the beginning

Then again, Alya can never resist a good story to tell.

By the time my parents come home, I had a successful opening shift and even got a bunch of cleaning done in the bakery. Alya spent the whole time just keeping me company, and trying to upsell random stuff to customers. A lot of "have you tried these before? Oh my goodness, so delectable. Why not add a Croissant with that" Every time I'd have to bite back my giggles.

"Alright well I've had enough of you today, I'm heading to go see my boyfriend. I'll talk with you later!" She gives me a hug and grabs her things, saying goodbye to my parents before leaving.

"Dinner is going to be in a bit, okay?" My mom says to me. I just shrug and tell her I'm gonna head up stairs, I'm not hungry. Doesn't help I snacked on baked goods all day.

"Marinette!" Tikki says all hopeful as I hand her a few cookies. She excitedly starts to chow down on them.

"I'm hoping to see Chat Noir again tonight. Do you think he'll stop by? If not, should we just go on patrol? Maybe we'll see him then."

"You really like being with him, huh?" Her little voice pipes up after swallowing a big chunk of cookie.

"I just like how easy it is to talk with him. He's a really good friend, he listens and then works to comfort me and make me laugh."

Tikki smiles at this, continuing to chew on her cookie. After a moment, she speaks up again. "Well, you have to wait a while, don't you think? There's no Akuma, and the sun is still up. I think the people of Paris would be worried about an Akuma if they saw you or Chat Noir swinging around."

"Yeah that's fair." I look around for something to do, scrolling through my phone to maybe call a friend. I stare at Adrien's contact, deciding not to bother him. I just saw him, I don't want to come off as overly enthusiastic to keep chatting with him. I should give it a few days.

Looking at my unfinished projects, my hand hovers over the jacket I was working on a while back. I look at my sewing machine, and the supplies littered across my desk. I even have the measurements and everything ready, I just need to finish cutting and sewing everything together. I could be done within an hour or two.

Yet every time I pick up my once favourite passion, I start to spiral. It makes me think about my future, and what I'm going to do about everything. Which, when you have no answers, is a really scary thing to be thinking about. There's nothing worse than the unknown.

"Everything will be okay, Marinette." My little kwami says softly, nuzzling up to my face. I give her a small hug, gently holding her in my hands.

"I know. I know that logically everything will be fine. I'm just scared of making the wrong choices. I'm scared of losing my friends. I'm scared of losing you."

"No matter what happens, you will always be my favourite Ladybug." My kwami says with a smile, probably thinking that will help reassure me. All it does is stick a knife further into my heart. I don't just want to be her favourite Ladybug, I want to stay with her for all of my life. I want to forever be Ladybug.

"Thank you." I say, trying to hold back my tears. I shake my head, looking back and forth between my unfinished jacket and my phone.

"Maybe I'm just gonna take a small nap." I sigh, giving up on trying to distract myself or get my shit together. I think it's better I sleep on it some more. I'm not equipped to handle all of this right now, and honestly that's okay. I don't need to do anything besides survive for the time being.

—————
"Hey Princess, wakey wakey." I hear softly, looking at Chat Noir leaning in to my face.

"I am awake, what do you mean?" I say, giving him a puzzling look.