epilogue.

Germany, in a timeline [somewhere].

1967

My heels clicked as I walked up the stone stairs that led to the large ornate front doors of the white mansion that stood in front of me. The backless gold dress I was wearing clung to my hips as the summer breeze ripped past me, my long dark hair flowing with the wind. People in extravagant gowns and tuxedos made their way up the stairs too, all of them having more money than I could ever dream of.

I made my way to the door, two brawny men in all black suits checking people's bags and invitations quickly before allowing them inside the building. There were important people at this gala tonight, and they had to make sure nothing bad was too happen, but it would be all too easy to slip past them. I handed my invitation card to one of the men, who glanced at it before looking back at me, saying nothing but instead nodding his head to allow me entrance. "Danke" I responded with a smile, the German flowing off of my tongue naturally as my black stilettos clicked lightly along the shiny marble floors.

I grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray someone was holding, making my way towards the sound of laughter that was coming from the grand ball room at the end of the hallway. A string quartet was sitting in the corner, filling the room with a light melody people standing around the room and speaking to one another. Everyone here was old, heads of silver hair filling the crowd as I scanned the room for somewhere to stand.

I didn't plan on loitering in this room, moving into an adjoining foyer, that was not as filled with people. There were still huddled of people laughing in a ridiculous tone, my body moving past them as I stood close to a wall, setting my glass and bag onto a small table. I took a seat on the wooden chair, crossing my leg over the other and making sure plenty of my skin was on show through the slit. When the KGB dress you like this for a mission, it's clear how they want you to lure in your target.

I fished a cigarette from my bag, striking a match and lighting the end before stubbing it out in the ashtray. I took in a long draw, holding the warm smoke in my lungs as I closed my eyes for the briefest of moments. "Are you as out of place as I am?" someone asked me as I opened my eyes to the man stood in front of me. He was tall and blonde, his face skinny and eyes thin as he dazzled me with a wide smile. "Sorry, if I scared you" he said to me with a laugh.

"No, you're fine" I replied with a smile, moving the cigarette between my lips again as the man leaned against the chair of the other side of the table with one hand. He was young, no older than 28, which was a stark contrast to the rest of the patronage in the room tonight. "You seemed to be rather lonely, thought you wouldn't mind someone to talk to" he said, pointing his hand at me before his smile dropped off of his face quickly.

"Unless your husband is around somewhere" he added quickly, turning his head as if he was looking for my date. "No, I was hoping if I stood on the out skirts of the room no one would talk to me" I said with a small chuckle, taking a sip of my drink with one hand before a drag with my other. He let out a small sigh as if he could relate to what I was talking about. "Not into socialising?" he asked me with a smirk.

"Not particularly" I said, shaking my head lightly with a smile and a crinkle of my nose. "Charlie Pratt" he said to me, extending his hand out for me to shake. I returned the gesture, setting my hand in his clammy palm as he clutched onto my fingers. "Catriona" I replied, his lips meeting my knuckles as my cheeks turned hot, which he noticed immediately and took in his stride. As I retracted my hand I faked a look of surprise, acting like I hadn't been waiting on him approaching me all night.

"Wait, when you say Charlie Pratt you mean" I started, lifting a hand to my chest to really sell this bit. "The Charlie Pratt who is the host of this party, yes" he said, bowing his head slightly in a introductory way. That's half of the mission already completed. "Surely there's more important people to be talking to than me" I breathed out quickly, tucking my hair behind my ear in the most innocent way I could muster up.