twenty-eight.

I stood leaning against a wall, my eyes nervously watching the hand on my watch tick away at each passing second, every move of it making me more anxious

I stood leaning against a wall, my eyes nervously watching the hand on my watch tick away at each passing second, every move of it making me more anxious. I was waiting around the corner from the elevator that Steve was supposed to come out of, my body tucked just around the bend so no one would be able to see me. My foot tapped nervously against the wall as I waited, raising my eyes to look out of the vast windows to see something in Downtown Manhattan on fire, sending big pillows of grey smoke into the sky. Being in STARK tower made me forget the fact that outside, the city was in absolute chaos from the ended battle, it was like being in a cocoon of safety - if you excused the galactic weapons that were scared around the building.

After the hand made it's way around the face three more times the sound of the elevator opening pulled my gaze away from it. I peaked around the corner, seeing Sitwell, Rumlow and their cronies in the elevator, Steve walking out with his shield in one hand and the sceptre case gripped firmly in the other. He didn't look back as he walked away from the agents, the doors to the elevator closing as he let out a heavy sigh, his shoulders hunching forward a little bit. He made his way around the corner, being so tight on the bend that has almost walked straight into me.

"Hey" I said as I pushed myself off of the wall, my eyes darting down go the case in his hand as I started walking backwards, Steve letting out a deep sigh. "Why do you have the sceptre?" I joked, putting on the most clueless voice they I could, Steve panicking as he dropped his head, looking down at the case. I'm not entirely sure what pulling a prank on him would do right now, but it would be funny for me at least. "Ehm" he stumbled, not being able to think of a good enough excuse to tell the 2012 me as a smile grew on my face. "Kidding" I chirped back to him as he looked up at me, his eyebrows raised as his cheeks flushed pink slightly in relief.

"You think that's funny?" he asked as I fell into pace by his side, letting out a small laugh as we once again stalked through the halls. "Kind of" I replied with a shrug of my shoulders, checking behind us quickly to make sure there was no stray workers or SHIELD agents anywhere. "Takes the edge off of the fact this is life or death" I added as I smiled at Steve, being met with a clinched jaw as he looked at me like a parent would scolding their child. I took the hint as I dropped the smile from my face,

"Any problems?" I asked as he shook his head, making me a tiny bit more relieved that this was going well. "No, although Sitwell is in for hell of a confusing elevator ride" he told me as I looked up at him, wondering what exactly he had said to the SHIELD agents in effort to get that sceptre. Whatever it is, I was happy that Sitwell wasn't able to get it and use it in aid to whatever HYDRA business he was planning on using it for. "We need to get back outside ASAP" I told him, looking down at my watch to see how long left before people we needed to be out of here. "I think Tony and Scott are already done" I added, not having heard from either of them in a while, making me hope that things had gone well rather than bad.

It was only a matter of time until people started realising that both the Sceptre and Tesseract were missing, and as soon as they did it would be chaos on all floors. Hopefully if this whole time heist went well, the stones would be replaced to the exact moment moment in time that we removed them from, but if we didn't get the stones back to Avengers HQ in the first place, the whole thing would fall apart. "Just one issue" Steve whispered as I looked up, seeing the glass bridge that ran through the middle of the tower. There standing opposite us was Steve, his younger self clutching his shield by his side as he stared at the pair of us, his jaw set and eyebrows scrunched under his cowl.