I close my eyes and roll to one side of the bed, wielding myself to sleep for the next few minutes before finally being awakened by my alarm for today. For some reasons, as well, this reality feels much more like a dream right now; with what had transpired for me to be here under the roof of Elian's family. And call me insane for even considering how my own dreams are starting to be more familiar to me that I am wishing to consider that, at least, as my own reality.

True, I may not want the idea of living during the American regime with the threat of the Japanese occupation; but that dream gives me some realization that my love had been requited. And it is definitely strange to hear that even if it is just some dreamscape, knowing that such a man as César exists in that world, I can't help but love him, too.

And all again, isn't it a sad thought? Knowing that he is too perfect to even breathe life and at the same time unattainable? Like the cruel reality between the realm of dreams and the waking world is a reflection that the worlds we create beyond our sleeps are often quite better? And yes, of course, it will all be because of our desires, our aspirations, and our hopes turned to it. If only life is easy to deal with that way. Unfortunately, it isn't.

A few minutes of silence follow, except for the soft hum of the air conditioning unit itself and the crowing of the rooster which is like the clash of city and province life. I open my eyes, give up in trying to return back to sleep, and take the room's ventilation remote from the bedside table, closing then the vents of the air condition in the room. Now that we're really in the province, it will be a good call, definitely, to feel and smell some fresh air. Hence, I move out of the bed and draw out the curtains to the sides.

It is still quite too early, and given the month, it is still dark outside. However, squinting a little through the horizon, one can hint that it is starting to lighten as well compared to the darkness of midnight. But thanks to the street lights leading to the house, and the perimeter's fence lights, I can somehow hint that we're really in the middle of nowhere; not really like in the field of nowhere, but in the middle of a field of plantations itself.

"Hmm?" I blink as I stop for a moment from opening the sliding windows and squint my eyes to see if I am seeing right.

It is still too early and dark but it appears like Elian had already come from somewhere. He is visibly recognizable under the outdoor lights as he comes through the gates wearing a shirt and some jersey shorts, as if he returns home from some morning jog, I think. Did he always have the time to be so physically active? Did he even have the time for other things? And now, it is weird to imagine that he can do all of it; making me wonder as well how César managed to do that as a college student—a varsity student of not just one but four different sports and still be an honor student considering a course definitely not just some lazy dealings under the sun.

Kaya siguro walang panahon si Elian sa mga babae... I tell myself. Or baka talaga totoo ang mga sabi-sabi na mas trip niya ang mga lalaki...

Looking on and waiting for him to return back in the house before I completely open the windows, I am surprised that he instantly receives a basketball thrown at his direction. Whoever did so is by the front steps of the house, obscured from the view; until a few seconds later, his cousin draws closer to him and they converse about something. I do not need to be a detective to understand that his cousin is inviting him for some game. They then laugh before Elian returns the ball, surely declining the offer, and enters in the house. As his cousin follows after him, I am then assured that both of them had retreated back in.

Opening the windows after them leaving, I allow the December breeze to flow in the room, almost equating the earlier temperature. I then take my phone, cancel my alarm for today, and decide to finally prepare for the day ahead.