Chapter 19

I didn't have to guess what was in the envelope. Edna gave plenty of clues. I dumped out the contents to see for myself. Sorting through everything, I came across a social security card, passport, high school diploma and transcripts, and a Maine birth certificate. Everything looked legitimate, except for the parents. I wished I knew more about Edna Moran's 'organization.'

Child's Name: Theodore William Maillet
Date of Birth: January 12, 1991

Place of birth: Bangor, Maine

Sex: M

Father's Name: Charles Edward Maillet

Father's Birthplace: Biddeford, Maine

Mother's Maiden Name: Darlene Brodeur

Mother's Birthplace: Millinocket, Maine

Thrilled, I sprinted to my bedroom. "Hey, Teddy! Did you see this? This is great!"

Slumped on the bed, Teddy gripped the mattress, not a trace of a smile. I was way more excited than him.

"Look, Teddy, you have everything you need! You can do whatever you want now. You can go to college or we could move to Maine... apparently, you were born in Maine, anyway, but I can see you don't give a shit, do you?"

"I have to go back, Eric. I want to die as Teddy McDonough."

The thought of Teddy heading back to 1944, doomed to die, made my stomach churn. This was more devastating than losing Erin, because Teddy chose to leave, while she had no option. By going back, he was essentially signing his own death sentence.

"Are you serious? After everything you went through to get to me... after Edna got you everything you need... you want to go back to die? I don't understand you. Edna gave you a gift you don't send back."

"I wouldn't expect a millennial to understand."

"Why? Because you're part of the greatest generation and you think it's your duty as an American to die in battle? You already know who won, so what difference does it make? You're fated to be here, Teddy, not there."

He avoided my eyes, looking everywhere else but me.

"How could you do this to me?" I asked.

"I wish I'd stayed in 2014. I knew less back then."

Filled with rage and confusion, I couldn't think straight. "Fuck it. I'm taking a shower and going to bed. You can sleep in the spare bedroom. Think it over."

"I don't want to sleep in an empty bed."

"You can't always get what we want," I said, leaving the room.

I started to wish he hadn't come here. As the water beat down on my face, I heard the door open.

"Get the fuck out!" I shouted.

Teddy ignored me, stepping into the shower. With my back to him, he pinched my waist, his lips clamped down on my neck.

"Come on, let's finish what we started earlier," he said, groping me.

He'd completely lost his mind. I quickly pushed him away and sprung out of the shower. "I finally remember meeting Edna," I said, reaching for a towel. "We were in her kitchen with all the clocks. You cried... you sobbed, begging to come back with me. You said you belonged in 2023, remember? I guess you were just a naïve twenty-two year old kid, acting with his dick instead of his head."

"Maybe I was naïve, but that doesn't mean I don't love you."

"If you really love me, you'll stay. The Japanese and the Nazis lost! For someone so intelligent you're stupid."