Chapter 4

Before going down for dinner, I dropped my suitcase on the bed and finally opened it. I dumped everything out and sorted through the clothes, clothes I would never wear in 2023. Where were the jeans and plaid flannel pajama bottoms? I found a pair of tan pants and button down shirt similar to the one Teddy and Jimmy were wearing. Jimmy was neater than Teddy, that's for sure. Jimmy's shirt was tucked in and his sleeves rolled down and buttoned properly. I put on an undershirt, followed by the gray button down shirt. Tan and gray didn't match, but I didn't give a shit. I had no reason to be here during the Great Depression.

In the corner of the suitcase, I noticed a black leather toiletry bag. I unzipped it and recognized an old-fashioned shaving kit. I picked up the brush, can of shaving cream, and the gold metal razor, feeling the cool weight of the metal in my hand. At least it wasn't a straight blade. I was used to an electric shaver, not this metal razor. I set the kit aside and quickly ran a black comb through my dark hair. I was scheduled for a haircut next week, which I was obviously going to miss if I didn't wake up from this ridiculous dream. I opted not to wear the heavy woolen socks. In my bare feet, I carefully climbed down the ladder.

Three young women and the little girl sat on one side of the table. Jimmy, Teddy, and eleven year old Billy sat together on the other side, while the parents sat at the head. I was the last one to the table. I assumed the vacant seat between Jimmy and Teddy was meant for me.

"We normally wear socks at the dinner table," Mrs. McDonough said.

"I'll remember that next time," I said, sitting down. The idea of wearing wool socks didn't appeal to me, but I supposed it was better than disappointing Mrs. McDonough and being cold. It's not like the house wasn't heated. I was just used to a modern heating system and not a rackety radiator furnace.

Dinner was baked beans and fried bologna. I'd never had bologna in my entire life, not even in a sandwich. A stack of slices of white bread sat in the center of the table. Gluten-free didn't exist in 1935.

Every Sunday, the McDonoughs, an Irish Catholic family, attended church. As a Catholic, I was baptized and received my First Communion and Confirmation, but I only ever went to church on Christmas and Easter. I hadn't been to a mass since high school, except for weddings and funerals. Saying grace before a meal was new for me. In the McDonough family, each family member took turns saying grace. It was Teddy's turn tonight. Teddy was clearly the black sheep of the family. Everyone bowed their heads, waiting for Teddy to begin.

"Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub. Amen," Teddy prayed, echoing Bart Simpson's words.

Unable to control myself, I burst out laughing. Tears of laughter streamed down my face. Teddy and I were the only ones laughing. Mr. McDonough's lips pursed, frowning at Teddy's disrespectful prayer. "I'm sorry," I said, attempting to control my giggles.

"For once, be serious," Mr. McDonough said to Teddy.

"You're going to confession, Theodore," Mrs. McDonough said. I went to confession once. The red light in the confessional freaked me out so much, I refused to go again.

"Fine. I'll start over," Teddy said. "Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, whoever eats fastest gets the most. Amen."

Again, I laughed. I needed a good laugh.

"Stop it, Teddy," Dorothy said. "Stop showing off for the guest."

"Let's eat, everyone, before it gets cold," Mr. McDonough said. "Teddy will go to confession and ask for forgiveness for being disrespectful... again."

I expected Teddy to monopolize the dinner conversation, but there was a competition between Jimmy and sixteen year old Margaret. She was annoyed that I didn't remember her from third period junior history class. Teddy came to my defense. "Give him a break. He met a lot of people today."