20- Memories of the Future

Start from the beginning

They watch as Grisha unlocks the door to the underground as he looks down. He sighs as he picks up his lantern and takes a step down.

"Father?" a female voice asks as Grisha stops.

"Evelyn?" Grisha asks as Zeke, Evelyn and Eren all stand out of the way to reveal 12 year old Evelyn stood there, out of breath, "what are you doing here?".

"I could ask you the same question. You said you'd do this when Eren was at least ten. Let Eren have his Father for at least 10 years!" Evelyn says angrily.

"Evelyn please. Don't make this any harder than it already is" Grisha says as he looks down.

"Look, you might have fucked up with Zeke but don't make the same mistake with Eren" Evelyn says as she starts to cry, "I hated Zeke for what he did to us but now, I just wish I could have my family back. I want Zeke back I want Mum back. Please Dad, just wait until Eren's 10. Give him at least ten years with you. Zeke only got five and you wasted those years. Come home. Come home to Mum and Eren. We can think about this later so just come back with me".

Grisha shuts the door to the underground as he throws his lantern into the corner and runs to Evelyn.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just-- what if they find us? If the Marleyans track us here, everyone could be killed".

"Dad, we erased any evidence that we remained alive. To the Marleyans, we were just turned into titans and thrown off the wall" Evelyn says as she walks over, "come on Dad. We can live peacefully here. And when it's time, we'll do what we have to in order to take the Founder".

"Okay. Let's go home, Evelyn" Grisha says as he stands up and he takes Evelyn's hands, the two of them walking out of the church.

"He originally came here earlier to take the Founder. Our plan was to leave Paradis and go back to Marley in order to take revenge, which would mean leaving you and Mum alone, Eren" Evelyn says as Zeke and Eren watch Grisha and Evelyn walk away, "he was ready to give up his life once again, pack everything up and leave. But I didn't want that. I wanted to stay on Paradis with you and Mum. I was happy with the life we'd made, even if my old one was still hanging in the back of my mind. I know Father isn't a good person. He forced me to become a leader of the Restorationists, forced you into becoming a soldier Zeke, instead of allowing you to become his son and live a normal life. And years after this, he forced you to take on the Attack and Founding titan without even explaining anything. But my Father raised me as his daughter and changed my views on him. I love him because he's my Father and he's never abandoned me. I love you Zeke because you used to hug me and take care of me when Father used to yell. And I love you Eren because you're my little brother and I swore to protect you from the day you were born. But right now, we're not in Grisha's memories. We're in mind. You see Zeke, I talked to the Founder Ymir too. Turns out, she kind of likes me because of our bond. Not just the fact that I'm her descendant, but because a part of her lives inside of me. Come on. I've got a lot to show you".

They make it back to the house as they go down into the basement where Grisha is asleep at his desk.

"I see... he loved his second son enough to delay his Restorationist mission. You convinced him well, Evelyn" Zeke says as he looks at Evelyn, "a stark contrast from me. It seems he learnt from his last mistakes. However, you moved exactly how Father wanted you to. The original you is gone. Sooner or later, you'll see".

"I'm sorry..." Grisha says quietly in his sleep as Zeke stands in front of him, "I'm sorry, Zeke... Zeke..." he says as he stands up and looks directly as Zeke, "Zeke...? Is that you...?" he says as he starts to look around, "don't be silly. That bearded old man can't possibly be Zeke. This is just a dream".