3- The Door of Hope

We were abandoned. That's why we live in a camp surrounded by walls. Because the blood of the devil runs through us. That's also why your Father isn't here. Your Father is Marleyan. He can't be with us Eldians. If only we were Marleyan.

Reiner remembers his Mother's words when he was only a child.

Oh yeah. Back then, I strove to be a warrior so we could be Marleyans.

Reiner says as he looks up at the ceiling.

--- the year of 843 ---

"Who said you could walk? Run, you filthy seed of swine!" Commander Magath yells as Reiner as Reiner continues on with his warrior candidate training, "don't you want to be honourary Marleyans?".

Later in the day, the warrior candidates all gather together.

"Did you guys hear? We're attacking Paradis Island is just a few years" Zeke says as he sits at the front of all the warrior candidates, "it's almost time for us to inherit titans! Out of the seven of us, they're picking six!".

"Yes. I can finally be Marleyan!" Reiner says excitedly.

"Huh? Why so excited? If anyone's the worst, it's you" Galliard says as he looks at Reiner.

"Excuse me?" Reiner says as he looks at Galliard.

"What's your strong point?" Galliard asks as he takes a bite out of his apple, "your strength? Your brains? Your aim? Combat ability? Nope. The only value they see in your is your loyalty to Marley. 'I'll slaughter the island devils real good for you, sir!'".

"Are you making fun of our mission? Or maybe you're a stray Restorationist?" Reiner wonders as he grabs Galliard's wrist, "you are, aren't you? I'll report you to the Commander!".

"Report this, you little shit!" Galliard says angrily as he punches Reiner, knocking him to the ground, "do you want another?".

"Porco, enough!" Marcel says as he grabs Galliard.

"Hating the island doesn't make you special!" Galliard says as he looks at Reiner, "have fun waiting thirteen years alone!".

"Porco!" Marcel yells as he watches Galliard walk away.

"Come on, Pieck!" Zeke says as he walks past Pieck, "don't cry for too long or the Commander will chew me out".

"Reiner, I'm sorry" Marcel says as he goes after Porco.

"Stand up, Reiner" Bertolt says as he looks at Reiner, "come on" he says as he helps Reiner up.

"I'm going to become a Marleyan and live with my Mum and Dad" Reiner says as he stands up, "I can't wait thirteen years! But it's like he said, I'm the worst".

"Porco doesn't make the decision. Besides, loyalty is important" Bertolt says calmly, "right, Annie?".

"Huh? What? I wasn't listening" Annie says as she looks over at the two of them.

"You really want that as your goal?" Bertolt asks as he and Reiner run alongside each other, "thirteen years is all you get.

"Thirteen years to be a hero" Reiner says as he looks ahead, "if I crush the devils on Paradis, I'll save the world. Then y parents will be proud to have me as their son".

The Female titan. Versatility is its biggest strength. On top of its mobility and endurance, its hardened strikes are incredibly destructive. The range is limited, but it can call pure titans, too. Annie Leonhart is perfect.

The Armoured titan specialises in hardening. If it charges at full speed, the gates of any wall will crumble. As Marley's shield that must withstand attacks, it suits Reiner Braun's perseverance.