Chapter Nine

An unwanted feeling of anxiety came over her as she scooted herself away from him and she had no idea why. Why did they make it seem like she was caught doing something wrong? Jared's eyes hardened.

"So, what? Shouldn't we be nice, I mean we are friends, aren't we? Are we always supposed to be arguing and grumpy with each other?" He sounded defensive.

For some reason Evan gets angry. "Well let's see, you two are never nice to one another so why the sudden change?"

Jared gets up looking tense. "What the hell is your problem?"

They were face to face as Evan clenched his fists tightly, staring him down. Selena steps between the two them and pushes them apart.

"Okay! Boys calm down! Both of you are acting really stupid right now!"

Mila had enough. She stood up quickly and grabbed her things stalking away.

"Mila, where are you going?" Her friend calls out.

She turns around. They all stare at her with confusion on all their faces. But looking at hers they all take a step back. The rage she was desperately holding in was showing.

"You know what, I don't understand either one of you at all! But I'm sick of both of you acting like this. It makes me think that you two are..." She stops there and throws her hands up in the air and just walks off.

"Mila, wait!" Selena grabbed her things and ran after her giving her brother and Evan a dirty look.

They both knew what was left unsaid. They looked at each other in silence, all anger now gone. Evan reaches for his bag and slings it over his shoulder giving him a look that unnerved him.

"Sometimes I wonder about that too." He turns away from him and walks off in a different direction.

He slumps back down on the bench and exhales in distress. This wasn't working. It's becoming noticeable and he didn't like it. He had decided long ago not to even try to go for Mila. To fight for her. Evan had told him how he felt for her. But he hasn't done anything about it yet. It was becoming more and more difficult with each passing day and he wished his best friend would hurry up and end his misery.

He understood why he didn't though. He didn't blame him either. Mila is special. She's special to Evan, special to Selena, even special to him. Evan was afraid of ruining that. He knew she cared about them as well. He wasn't so sure however about himself. He believed she hated him or at least did.

Now however, he wasn't so sure. Maybe she just tolerated him because of his sister. He hadn't made it easy for her that's for sure. He was well aware of what he was doing, and he couldn't help it. He loses control when it comes to her. It drives him completely insane when he sees her with others if it wasn't him.

He thought about the sudden decision of him stating he was taking Mila to homecoming. A part of him only did it to get Evan pissed. The other part wanted so badly to take her that he used it completely to his advantage. It never occurred to him that there was a possibility that she had already been asked by someone else. Though he would have known about it.

He couldn't believe that she actually went along with it. It was really happening. She was going to the homecoming dance with him. He was such in a good mood about it that it brought all his defenses down. He didn't even mask his feelings. Just let them all fall out. Now everyone saw a sliver of it and that freaked him out.

He needed to be more careful when it came to Mila.

Frowning, he thought of the way she just stormed off angry. What if she decided to not go with him after all? What if she decided going with him was a bad idea?