Chapter Three

It was one o'clock in the morning and Jared laid there in his bed trying very hard to go to sleep, but his mind was restless tonight and all because of a fourteen-year-old girl that was only one wall separation away from him. He kept tossing and turning.

When he got home from the hospital with Selena, he wondered what was going on while they were gone. When Evan came out as they arrived, he seemed well...happy. And Mila's face was beyond red as if she was embarrassed.

He frowned at the memory then squirmed in his bed. At the time he felt angry, bewildered, agitated and something else. He didn't know what though and it was bugging him a bit not knowing. He didn't question them however and he could tell Evan was waiting for it, but he didn't say a single word to him.

They just went into his room and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the day. Of course, Evan wouldn't shut up about the girl. In fact, it was almost as if he was trying to get Jared upset but he just ignored everything as best as he could. Eventually Evan finally dropped the subject and went onto something else.

He thought of the time he first met Evan. They were in the third grade, and they had the same class together. He didn't like him at first. He was an obnoxious little kid and a little stuck up. He never paid attention to their teacher, never did his work and was always talking out of line. He would crack jokes to the teacher just to make the class laugh except for Jared.

He always took things seriously, even at such a young age. He was never late to anything. He never missed a day of school. He had straight A's in all his subjects and he was polite and considerate to all the teachers. He wasn't a snob and was always kind to the rest of the kids except to Evan.

He couldn't stand the boy since he was a complete opposite of him. It drove him up the wall that the kid never took anything seriously. He remembered the one event when Evan decided to call him out.

"Hey brainiac, do you ever become a kid?"

He had been doing his homework that had just been given for social studies and it wasn't due until the next week. He liked to make sure it was done before the day was out. They were at recess and they just got done having their lunch. He looked up at him and frowned.

"Um, excuse me?"

Evan looked over to see what he was doing and raised a brow. "Are you serious? You're doing homework?"

He gave him a look that clearly said; leave me alone. "Like you even know what that is. I'm surprised you even know what it looks like."

Evan's face turned red and his small fists balled up in anger. "Well excuse me, but not everyone is as smart as you brainiac, at least I know how to have fun and act my age. At least everyone likes me."

Jared got up and became red himself. "At least I'm not a loser who doesn't care about anything or anyone and who will most likely be stupid because I don't know how to do my homework and don't pay attention in class!"

Evan pushed him. Jared came back and wrapped his arm around his neck pushing him down on the ground. The two boys started rolling around on the ground hitting and kicking each other. By then a large group of kids were surrounding them all chanting the word 'fight' over and over.

Two teachers saw what was going on and rushed over to pull the boys apart. "What is going on here?!" One of them yelled.

They were both heaving from the extortion of the fight. Jared had a bloody lip and a scratch on his cheek. Evan looked like he was going to have a black eye and his nose was bleeding.