Chapter 6

Leia's POV

The familiar clattering of dinnerware stirred Leia from her sleep. "Emmett I can fetch my own dinner, thank you very much," she said, rubbing sleep from her eyes. Her eldest brother would sooner die than have her miss supper. "Emme–" she started. The smile dropped from her face as the fog in her brain started to clear.

When her vision refocused she felt as though she was plunged into an ice cold bath. Her memories came back to her in a rush, and the reality of the Land of Faeries not being a horrible dream formed a knot in her throat.

Regardless of the length of her capture, she knew he would never bring her dinner again. She grinded her teeth as she fought against the tears. How long have I been here? She asked herself, wondering how her other brothers were coping with Emmett back home the way he was. Would they send him to the institution for schizophrenia?

A dazed human set a plate with a loaf of bread and cheese down before her on the bed. Leia watched dumbfounded as the girl hummed to herself, pouring the tea with that sick, dreamy smile on her face.

"Hello?" Leia said. It came out more of a question than a greeting. Leia pulled the incredibly soft yellow duvet closer to her chest. "Do you speak?"

The girl looked only slightly older than Leia. Her blue eyes were completely glassed over and even her tanned skin looked disturbingly pale. She was also very skinny which angered Leia. Her fist tightened around the fabric of the duvet. How dare they reduce her people to mindless slaves?

"Only when spoken to," the girl said above the roar of blood rushing to Leia's ears. Her voice was thick and distant, as though she were sleepwalking.

"You must drink this your highness, it is the last of the antidotes but cannot be taken on an empty stomach," the girl said, offering the plate of food to her.

Leia hesitated but could no longer go without food. The first bite of the bread was heavenly. She then took a bite out of the cheese, disregarding the cheese knife on the tray.

The girl simply watched, her hands clasped in front of her. "Do you work for Prince Dakath's brothers?" Leia asked between bites. The food felt more and more difficult to chew with the girl's gaze on her.

"I have made a deal with Prince Roarke. He's so very kind," the girl said dreamily.

"Oh? A deal?" The food was starting to turn in Leia's stomach.

"He will save my family from the perils of starvation for a year, should I serve him for the remainder of my life." Her smile was bright as though she were talking about someone she deeply loved and adored.

Leia placed the last of the bread back on the tray, though she had already devoured the cheese. "Sounds like you got the short end of the stick then," she said sadly. She looked over the girl carefully, her eyes scanning the frailness of her body.

Leia felt a lump form in her throat. Her family's staff back home was well fed with a decent wage and enough free time to enjoy themselves from time to time. This girl standing before her looked as healthy as a ghost. It was inhumane.

Leia was out of the bed in a heartbeat as the girl's head started jerking from side to side, all thought fleeing from her mind. She focused on keeping her touch on the girl's arms gentle, worry etched into her features. This kind of magic made her blood roil with anger. It's the kinds of deals that take advantage of the helpless and are anything but fair that is truly upsetting to even think about.

Suddenly, the girl stopped moving, standing completely still as her eyes clouded over. "I'm not sure what you mean," she said, smiling.

Leia stepped back in horror. "Do you have a name?" She asked, desperate for any sign of humanity to be shown by the girl.