23 | i wanna be with you

Start from the beginning

"Shit, I'm feelin' good. My money up and there's plenty of pussy available."

"Oh, word?" I watch Malia switch lanes from my rearview mirror. "I'm glad to hear that, for real."

It's a relief to see Kasey in good spirits. I thought that he was going to let his search for Farad consume him, but clearly that isn't the case. I'd rather see my boy happy and flourishing than damn near senile still tryna get his lick back, especially from a nigga who's almost a ghost.

"Hell yeah. I'm tryna get drunk and put a hole in something tonight." He rubs his hands together with a sly grin. "Hopefully shawty behind us."

I chuckle, turning the volume up as the beat to another song drops as I speed down the road.

99 Degrees is packed before it's even late and I'm starting to think that this might be our most successful business venture yet. Located in the heart of the city, it's easy for people to spot and grab a drink last minute. Mack and I made a good decision by choosing this building.

Our section includes Malia, Lyric, Dex, Ashanti, and a few other nameless women that were invited by Kasey with the same vague proposition — show up and get some money spent on you.

And of course, they're doing everything that they can to secure the bag. I mean, he never had a problem getting women before, not at all, but a lil change in your pocket nearly makes you invincible.

"How long have you been growing your hair?" Malia asks, twirling one of his locs with her finger. The woman on the other side of him leans forward, watching her actions with fire in her eyes. It's strange. You'd think that they'd be friendlier, considering the freaky ass three-way kiss that they decided to subject us all to twenty minutes ago.

"'Bout ten years or somethin' like that." Kasey takes his fifth shot of tequila and shakes his head.

Oh, so he was serious about getting drunk as hell.

A new song starts blasting through the speakers and all of the women get to their feet, hips shaking to the tune — Malia on Kasey and Ashanti on Dex. Lyric bends down in front of me, grabbing her ankles and I lean back slightly, bringing my red solo cup to my mouth. The Dj switches the song and she plops down across from me.

"We gotta take a shot!" Kasey grins, pulling Malia into his lap. I pour everyone up and we raise our cups. "To new beginnings! I'm ready to live right like y'all niggas. I love y'all, man! I wish Mack and Tyreek was here too."

"We gone get together another time and celebrate for real, for real. I'm proud of ya." I smile, tapping my drink against his. I don't have to imagine the weight lifted off of his chest from turning over a new leaf, I've done the same thing.

Malia plants a kiss on his neck and I shake my head, taking another sip from my cup.

I gotta get outta here soon. Really not tryna see no mo' of this shit from them.

Lyric's gaze shifts between myself and her preoccupied friend. Her expression is a mixture of irritation and longing. Craning her neck to the side, she narrows her eyes and runs her tongue over her teeth. "You must got a girlfriend?"

"Why?"

"'Cause you actin' scared to get near me."

I jerk my head back in surprise, lowering my eyebrows. "Actin' scared means not tryna fuck you instantly?"

I almost laugh, but I'm used to this. Women who desire the traditional aspect of being courted or chased get annoyed when someone whom they like isn't interested. Watching her friend garner all this attention from Kasey has her feeling forgotten.