19 | cutting ties

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Mack got you spoiled." I roll my eyes playfully and she shows all her teeth, blushing at the mention of his name as usual. I peep a new necklace endowed with pink diamonds, sitting between her breast and laugh. "Real spoiled."

"Aye, I applied for a couple of receptionist jobs. I think I'ma give this nine to five shit another chance. I can't run the streets forever." Cree leans forward, tucking her bottom lip between her teeth. "Pray that I get one."

"Aww look at you! You absolutely gone get it! That communications degree won't be in vain anymore." Nadi smiles. 

"On God, they a fool if they don't give it to you. You a smooth talkin' mufucka'."

"Feel me?" Cree chuckles, reaching into her pocket and pulling out her vibrating phone. "Hey, baby. Just come in, we in like the third section to the right. You can't miss us."

Nadi obnoxiously raps along as the beat drops to the next song, putting down her third emptied glass.

"Hey, you guys!" Lourdes bops, kissing Cree on the lips before plopping down in her lap.

"Hey, Lo!" Nadi and I sing.

"So what, she gone be taggin' along with us everytime now?" Lira eases back into her seat with a barely sipped drink in her hand.

Lourdes throws her head back, opens her mouth to speak, but closes it quickly when Cree chimes in. "Lira, watch yo mouth. I don't wanna hear nun else from you unless it's positive."

"It was just a question." She smugly defends.

"She don't even be with us the majority of the time so cut it out." Nadi rolls her eyes, throwing her hair over her shoulder.

"Whatever." Lira sips, swaying to the beat.

Something about her is...off tonight.

Her appearance is well put together as usual, but her banter doesn't have its typical playfulness. Every word comes off intentionally callous. Even her behavior is different. Her leg bounces nonstop, almost impatiently and I can see the way she eyes whomever is speaking with slight annoyance.

Especially me.

She's excessively studying my body from head to toe, hanging onto my every word just to roll her eyes. It's subtle, but I notice it.

I haven't talked to Lira in a minute. Maybe she's going through something or maybe she's misinterpreted something that I've said.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I'll check on her later, just the two of us to make sure that everything's okay. Her pride may be blocking her from functioning normally.

Lourdes chuckles dryly before changing the subject. "Giselle, your makeup is so good!"

"Chile, that's that glow from gettin' consistent dick." Nadi smirks, popping her lips and cutting her eyes at me.

"Thank you, Lo." I stifle a chuckle, smoothing down my hair. "I'm getting better at this no-makeup, makeup thing."

"Hmm," Lira hums. "I didn't know y'all be fuckin'."

"Why wouldn't they? That's her mans." Cree scoffs, rubbing the side of Lourdes's butt.

"Wait, he asked you to be his girl?" Lira cranes her head to the side and unsticks her lips with her tongue.

"No, we —"

"Oh, good!" She laughs, putting her hand over her chest. "'Cause I was finna say, he did not mention no relationship."

"What?" I narrow my eyes, thrown off.