"I'm very sorry for all of this," she says to him. "We will suspend Jack pending an investigation. And we will discuss further action at the PTA meeting with other Wilcrest parents this Thursday night."

A hand presses to my forehead, which has broken into a nervous sweat at the mention of suspension—and possible expulsion.

Principal Wells stares over at the slumped boy. "Jack, you can leave—"

He's already springing from his seat, disappearing out of the small office before I can even catch a glimpse of his face.

The air feels heavy, the energy sucked out of the room without his presence. My heart aches.

"And what about this one?" the man's voice booms and I can feel his eyes boring into the back of my head.

Avoiding everyone's eyes, I sink down so that my spine is digging into the wooden seat.

"She attacked my daughter. I expect consequences," he groans.

"Of course, Mr. McKinney," Principal Wells assures. "We're taking this matter very seriously."

Suddenly worried, I glance up to meet her eyes.

"Molly," she says to me softly. "You will receive a three day suspension. Detention after school for two weeks. And I expect an apology to Emma and her family."

My body jumps up from the seat. "You're suspending me?" I screech.

"You put hands on another student," she states sternly.

And I did, but she deserved it. Frustrated, I huff staring up at the popcorn ceiling.

"Molly," the woman calls to me again. "Now would be a fine time for that apology."

As if.

Eyes stare at me, backing me into a corner. Realizing there's no other way out of this, I turn to the McKinney's plastering on my best ass-kissing smile as their scowling faces stare back at me.

"Emma," I begin through gritted teeth. "I am very sorry that I pulled your hair. And called you a whore. And smacked your head."

Principal Wells frowns at me.

"And Emma McKinney's dad and mom, I'm very sorry you had to come to Wilcrest today to discuss this."

Satisfied, I plop down into my chair. The McKinney's offer nothing back, so I look down at my hands picking the last of the purple polish from my nails.

"Okay, Molly, you can be excused," Principal Wells says with a sigh. "Go retrieve your things from your locker while I call your parents to pick you up."

Solemn, I rise from the chair, moping out of the room into the hall. Sauntering down the corridor, I walk with a slouch until I reach my locker.

Entering the combination, I fling it open, dumping a week's worth of books into my small backpack before tugging it back onto my shoulders.

With a slam of the locker, I turn to wait outside the office for my dad, when bodies pass by me.

Exiting the girls' bathroom, Naila and Jade cross my path. With a soft smile, I step towards them. "Hey guys, you'll never guess what just happened," I groan trying to make light of the situation.

With blank stares, Jade pulls Naila with her to head back to class. But I extend a hand, grabbing onto Jade's elbow.

"Wait—" I exclaim and they pause, slowly turning to me. "Guys, I'm sorry. But we've been friends forever, okay? I know I've been kind of crummy lately—"

"Kind of?" Jade interrupts. "Molly, you've been a shit friend."

Taken aback, I gape my mouth open, looking down for approval from Naila. The small girl only shrugs, looking down at the floor she mumbles, "You kind of only care about yourself."

"That's not true!" I argue, but they don't budge.

They're wrong though. I care about things other than myself. I care that Jack Moody just got suspended. I care that he might have to leave his mother to go live with his grandparents. I care about many things.

"You've gone too far this time," Jade states firmly. And when I scrunch my nose she adds with a cocked head, "Seriously, attacking Emma McKinney?"

I throw my arms up. "Emma's a total wench, you know that!"

She shakes her wild poof of hair. "You know, she's really no worse to you, than you have been to her."

Her comment takes me aback. Mouth parting, I stand stunned at her betrayal as Jade links into Naila's arm before marching off. Once again leaving me alone in the hall.

In a huff, I tug at the heavy backpack on my shoulders before heading back to the office. Collapsing onto a creaky wooden bench, I wait for my parents to come swoop me up.

At least, they'll understand my side of things.

I'm not a bad person like everyone's trying to make it seem...right?

right?