Chapter 19-Heartache, Whisky and Ice

Comenzar desde el principio

"Hey, don't ever feel like you can't tell me what you're going through regardless of what's going on in my life. I want to be there for you like you've always been for me. Remember, we made a pact when we were six, we're going to outlive our husbands and live together when we're viejitas?" (old ladies)

She nods and wipes at her eyes. "At this point you and coach are going to have to take my old ass in because no one wants me!" She wails and I pull her in for another hug.

"You know what we need?" I grip her by the shoulders, pushing her back enough to see her face.

"A straight razor and a bottle of tequila?"

"Not funny." My unamused face morphs into a smile. "Ice skating!"

She groans, her head falling into my lap.

"We'll hit the bar first."

She perks up instantly. "Let's go!"

_____________

"Thank you?!" I slam my shot glass down. "That was his response?"

We've gone over Oli's and Eddie's last conversation at least a hundred times and dissected every part of it. From what his expressions were, his body language and what he said.

"Yeah, I mean, here I am pouring my little heart out to him and that's all he gives me?" She downs another shot of tequila. "Cobarde." (coward)

"You're better off without him." I tap the counter letting the bartender know we want another round.

"He was so hot though." Oli laments, her sad eyes focused on her beer. "And sweet and funny." Her bottom lip trembles. "Did I mention he was hot?"

"Ladies, can we buy you a drink?" We spin in our stools and take in a couple of men with nice smiles.

"You want to break our hearts, too?" Oli counters.

"It's a girls only kind of night." I explain and slide another shot toward Oli.

"We'd be happy to pay a visit to whatever assholes hurt you ladies." The taller of the two leans next to Oli. His blue eyes while amused also express empathy observing her.

"Good luck." She snorts. "Mine's an evasive motherfucker. And JoJo's ex is just a snake. Easy to find, but nasty, crafty, conniving—"

"Thanks for the offer, but we're good." I cut her off and she downs the shot. "We're actually getting ready to leave."

"Shame," The other guy says. "Would have liked to spend more time with you."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back it up." Oli stands, teetering forward. "She's taken. It's new, but she's taken. Coach and me we're like this and I ain't about to let someone swoop in and take what's his." She attempts to twist her fingers together but then gives up and intertwines her hands together to prove her point.

"On that note, we gotta go." I leave some cash on the counter for the bartender and slide off the stool, turning to help Oli with her jacket. 

"Thanks for stepping in, Oli. What would I do without you?" We snuggle into each other to ward off the cold Chicago air once we're outside.

"Get hit on by a bunch of hot guys."

I laugh. "That's usually you, prima."

She blows a raspberry. "Why does it hurt so much?"

I squeeze my arm around her and let out a long breath. "Because no one wants to be rejected or not have the love you feel for someone reciprocated. Especially when you are certain it's right and they don't feel the same."