Blondes Have More Fun

Start from the beginning

That seems to settle it and Naila clamps it. My head swivels back to Jade. "Well, come on, now. Let's get on with it."

She takes one last breath before digging into the paste we mixed up into a bowl on the floor between us. A big scoop piles into her gloved hand as she shakes her head.

"This is a terrible idea," she mumbles before smearing a big glob onto the top of my hair.

........................

My hand raises and I poke one finger at the plastic bag wrapped around my head. It feels like a thousand fire ants are wreaking havoc on my skull.

"It kind of burns," I whine. "Is it supposed to burn?"

Sprawled across my bathroom floor, Naila peaks down at me from where she sits on the toilet. "I think that just means it's working."

"You should've washed it out five minutes ago like was suggested," Jade grumbles sitting on the bathroom counter, swinging her long legs below.

"I want to make sure it's bleach blonde—like Emma's," I explain once more. I pat my hand against the bag again, its plastic crinkling at the touch.

The burning sensation only intensifies, and I jump up from the floor. "I can't take it any longer!" I exclaim, ripping the bag from my head.

My hair tumbles from beneath the plastic out in wet, matted clumps. To assess the progress, I turn towards the mirror. My eyes widen in shock.

"Oh my god—no!" I squeal looking at the sight. Bright yellow streaks riddle my hair, some splotches of neon orange scattered throughout. "What have I done?"

Jumping to her feet, Naila bounces to my side. "Um—no, it's okay. We just need to wash it out!"

Her hand locks onto my arm as she leads me to the shower, turning on the water before stuffing my head under the spout.

Cold water hits my scalp, soothing some of the burning sensation as it runs down my face, into my nose. Naila's hands work furiously massaging the bleach out as she holds me in place.

"You're water-boarding me!" I shout spitting water out from my mouth.

"Well, do you want to look like Bozo the Clown?" she huffs over the sound of running water. "I'm trying to help!"

Humbled, I zip my lips and let her work her magic. After a moment, the faucet squeaks off and I straighten to meet my friends.

Water droplets bead down my face, soaking my t-shirt and sweatpants. Naila and Jade look at me with big eyes, but then plaster on smiles.

"Uh—we just need to dry it!" Naila squeaks rushing to my bathroom drawer to pull out a hair dryer before roaring it to life.

My hair whips around my face as she works. My gaze fixates on Jade whose eyes only grow wider and wider as my hair grows dryer.

Finally, I push Naila away. "What—is it that bad?" I ask turning back to the mirror.

My stomach drops. No—it's even worse than before.

Fluorescent yellow hair, matted into knots surround my head, still spotted with patches of bright orange. My hands fumble into it, trying to brush it out.

But then, the hair stretches like bubble gum—pieces falling out, dropping to the pale white floor.

"Oh my god—no!" I screech. A growing sense of doom overtaking me as I stare at the hair piling onto the floor. "I'm going to kill myself."

Naila and Jade both jump to my side to comfort me, but I push them off waving my hands wildly as I spew, "Jack Moody wouldn't like me as a brunette—there's no way he'll like me bald!"

Jade rolls her eyes a bit before grumbling, "Okay—little dramatic. It's only hair; it's not the end of the world."

"Easy for you to say," I squeak. "You have a full head of hair!"

She shakes her head at me, turning her back to me before sauntering out of the bathroom. She throws up her hands, mumbling under her breath, "I can't deal with this. I told her it was a bad idea."

Desperate, my eyes grow wide staring at Naila, silently pleading for her to save me. As always, she comes to my aide, patting my soggy back as she assures, "We can fix this. Don't worry."

"