Worst Case Scenario

Start from the beginning

Frowning, she runs a hand over her head, smoothing down her already greased hair as she scans the table top in front of her.

"So," I inquire with a huff. "What did you hear?"

Annoyed at her delay, Tina takes a deep inhale straightening her posture as she stammers, "Well—I heard Jack and Emma got very cozy at that party."

My body stiffens, causing me to lean back away from the pow-wow. My eyes wander back to Jack, Emma leaning over, inching closer to nestle into his side.

Frozen in horror, I think back to Saturday night. How Naila and I danced while Jack seemed to have disappeared for hours. Could it be true? Was he with her?

My blood runs hot. I poke my face back towards Tina Parker's. "What do you mean cozy?" I spit.

A little devious smirk breaks out onto her face and it makes my eye twitch. "Well, apparently they went to Emma's room and things got...spicy."

I sink back, mouth slightly open as I slowly shake my head back and forth in horrified disbelief. "Emma McKinney will be the death of me."

A chuckle in the form of a scoff comes from Jade beside me.

"What's so funny?" I huff.

She drops her fork to the tray. "You really think you still have a chance with Jack Moody?" Offended, I jerk my head back as she carries on. "Please, do the words Burger Shack mean nothing to you?"

Rolling my eyes, I cross my arms over my chest.

Sure, last night at Burger Shack was a minor setback, but I can redeem myself. I mean Jack was willing to come to my house and give me another ride in his car after I threw up all over the place—he clearly has a forgiving nature.

It's not over yet.

Naila perks up trying to reassure me. "Yeah, and hey—Jack Moody saw your boobs. That counts for something!"

Her wide eyes stare up at me like she's made everything better, but I only feel worse. I didn't need reminding of that.

"Wait—what did you just say?" Tina Parker says poking her big head back into our conversation.

With a hand, I wave her off signaling her time with us is done as I lean back in to huddle with my friends.

"Guys, we have to go back to the drawing board," I tell them with determination. "We cannot let Emma win him over."

Naila nods wildly while Jade groans, standing from the table to leave the two of us behind to plot.

.....................................

My feet sprint down my stairs as fast as my legs will allow, charging towards my front door. Swinging it open, I'm met with my two best friends, here to hatch a plan to get Jack Moody to escape the grasp of Emma McKinney's talons.

"Come on," I say in a huff tugging both of them by the arms inside my house.

Stepping into the entry-way the two of them exchange a nervous look. My nose crinkles at them. "What?"

Naila looks down at the wood floor, scanning the row of colorful potted plants at her feet before meeting my eyes. "Have you not checked Instagram?"

Her words put a pit in my stomach—her tone indicating something has gone wrong. Jade thumbs through her phone as footsteps patter behind us.

"Oh hello, girls!" my dad's voice sings. "We having a little girl's night?"

Now is not the time for his fatherly chats—it seems we are amidst a life shattering tragedy, so I ignore the old man.

Naila smiles awkwardly at him while Jade scrolls searching until she finds what she's looking for. Slowly, she turns the phone towards me and I snatch it from her grasp.

Pressing my nose to the screen, my heart falls to my stomach as my eyes lock onto Emma McKinney's latest post. A familiar set of dark brown eyes paired with the most gorgeous and perfect fluffy brown hair. But, all I can focus on are the pair of lips pressed against his cheek: Emma's lips.

Overflowing with anger, I take a shaky breath in and then release it slowly. "Oh—Emma McKinney is dead to me."

Raising my head, I see my friends—and dad, staring back at me in horror. He blinks at me a few times, brows raised slightly, but then gives a tight-lipped smile.

"Well, you girls have fun," he says turning on his bare feet, sauntering back to the living room.

I huff and then grip both of my friends by their hands, stomping off up the stairs, dragging their flailing bodies behind me.