Ch.1 Big Sis~

"Big sis~."

"Come on big sis, I wanna eat~."

"I'm hungry~."

Hearing cute, tiny voices, I slowly open my eyes to see all the children of the orphanage standing beside my make-shift bed on the floor. I rub my eyes and let out a yawn as my golden orbs scan my surroundings. All the kids looked a bit unhappy.

"..."

I look at the broken, yet functional, clock on the wall.

"Oh...it's already almost 10am... I'm sorry I slept so long. Didn't that drunk eat any of you kids?"

"No."

"He's passed out again."

"The bottle he has this time is bigger than my arm."

A sigh escapes my lips. "I see...that good for nothing as-", I quickly cover my mouth.

Jade behave...you can't curse in front of kids. Especially these sweethearts.

I remove my hand. "Well, let me get ready, okay?" I smile at all the children. "Then I'll make us brunch. How does that sound?"

The children immediately brighten up and cheer as I get up to start my day. I go to the shared bathroom to shower, then brush my long raven hair which had a tint of blue to it.

My name is Jade. I'm fourteen years old, the oldest in this joint. I've been in and out of every orphanage in the country ever since the tender age of six. My father abandoned me before I was born. My mother neglected and abused me, and at one point almost caused my death from starvation. Luckily, I was taken away...but that didn't stop my hatred for them.

Ever since then, I've been adopted and brought back about...seventeen times... I know that's a lot. Well, the issue is...I hate families, mostly fake parents. I hate strangers trying to pretend to be my mother or father and boss me around. They don't love me, no one does. Seeing them happy and act like a family...well, I don't like it.

I lash out at them, and they bring me back saying there's something wrong with me or that I'm "broken". They say who could ever love a child like me... Or that I'm just not meant for family life... That I'll be alone forever... I hate families. I don't need them.

Honestly...the kids I met in every orphanage are more like family than any adult could ever be to me. But sadly...I don't see them anymore. Because of my bad reputation, the orphanages kick me out and send me packing to a new one every few months. I know they're just passing me on till I turn eighteen. Once I'm too old they'll throw me out of the streets...I know it.

"..."

I tie a white bow in my hair to hold my ponytail. I slap my cheeks before staring at my mirror reflection.

"Focus Jade...no more bad energy. The kids need you." A tiny smile forms on my features. "Time to go cook."

Once ready, I leave the bathroom and almost smack right into one of the kids.

"Oh, I'm sorry...Anya?"

A little girl with the biggest and brightest green eyes looks up at me as she holds a stuffed toy close to her chest. Her pink hair was a mess, indicating she had also just woken up a bit ago. She looks up at me and smiles. Her smile always made me day when I saw it. The other kids, however, don't seem to like her very much. They avoid her and she barely talks to them.

"Good morning, Anya." I beam. "I'm going to make everyone some food, care to help me?"

She nods her cute little head.

"Yes!"

I take a hold of her hand. "Okay. Come on." We head for the kitchen together.

××××Time Skip××××