Chapter 18-Goldstar Treatment

Beginne am Anfang

"Obie—"

"I have a Geography report that's due tomorrow."

Inhaling sharply, I close my eyes, leaning back in my chair I exhale. "And how long have you had to do it?"

"Is that really important right now?" He quips. This kid. I rub my forehead and then run my hand down my face. My plans to somehow talk Joanna into going out tonight with it being Valentine's Day, are shot now.

He sighs loudly into the phone. "A month."

I mentally count to four, remembering to breathe in and out slowly. "A month, Obie?"

"Dad, I've had a busy month. And maybe you forgot, but my life got turned upside down when Mom showed up out of nowhere. I'm sorry, okay? Don't forget I'm still young and learning."

Glancing up at the ceiling, I choose to deflect instead of delving into some of his half-truths and lean forward again, pulling my laptop to me. "What is your report on?"

"Mexico."

Okay, maybe I can swing this with short notice. I open my laptop up and do a quick search. "I'm going to grab a few things after work, but I want you to do your own research before I get home and you're putting it together."

"You got it," Obie says with enthusiasm. "Thanks, Dad. You're the best."

I grunt. "I'll see you later, but don't think this comes without a consequence."

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that. But I get it. Love you."

"I love you, too. Be good." I run my hands over my hair. Sitting up, I start going over some of the information when I sense Joanna stand next to me.

"I can help...if you want?"

My eyes meet hers. She's finished her makeup, her glasses are gone and she's wearing a bright smile.

"I wanted to take you out tonight." I confess and her eyebrows draw together.

"But it's Valentine's Day."

"I know." I push my laptop aside and grab on to her hips, moving her in front of me. "I know you don't want to put labels on what's going on between us, Joanna. But you know I like you. A lot. And you like me, too. Even if you don't want to admit it." I squeeze her hips before I pull her onto my lap. My hands find their way to her face and neck.

"You're afraid of getting hurt. But I'm not Manny."

"I know you're not, Sage." Her voice is quiet, with her eyes down playing with the drawstrings of my joggers. "But maybe we're moving too fast. We hardly know each other."

"Maybe." I lift her chin so I can look into her eyes. "But here's what I do know. You're the youngest of five, the only girl. You were raised by a strong, hard working mother. Your father left when you were three and didn't come back until you were a teenager and he died shortly after. You've only had one boyfriend since high school and he fucked up and now regrets it, rightfully so, but finders keepers."

She laughs and her arms come around my shoulders as she perks up waiting for me to continue and I can't stop the smile forming on my face. 

"You love your family and friends and are fiercely loyal to them. You love food, which is refreshing because most of the girls that come in here have a love-hate relationship with it, so I like that you openly admit how much you like to eat."

"And no, that isn't a backhanded compliment, because you know I worship your body." I squeeze her hips as my eyes move around her face. "I know the curves of your face and every beautiful freckle dusting over your cheeks and nose."