Chapter 11: Encroachment

Start from the beginning

"I've tried calling, but for some reason he hasn't been answering those either. I'm starting to get a little concerned."

"Well maybe you should just give him some space. I'm sure he's not trying to ignore you, maybe he's just really going through it or something. Try not to think about it too much."

Nat heard her friend's words and tried to let them sink in. I know she's right but I just want to hear his voice. I want to see him. But maybe she's right, I am back now and if Callaghan could hear me he'd probably blow his cap.

"Well I guess I can't do anything about it now. You're right, I should just relax and I'm sure he'll text me soon." She said, mostly trying to convince herself.

Ellie laughed as Mr. Stoll entered the clinic. He nodded at the two women as he approached them.

"Nat, it's good to have you back. We really missed having you around." He said in his usual flat tone.

Did he just compliment me? Wow maybe probation wasn't such a bad thing after all.

"Anyways we have a lot of paperwork we could use your help with if you don't mind..."

...

The bye week had come and gone and Nat had hardly heard from Nick in that entire time. She was so worried she figured the time had come to check on him. Besides a few short texts here and there, he wasn't being very responsive. She had managed to get his address from the files at work and had pulled up to his humble apartment in San Jose. She had packed a special chicken and veggie soup her mom gave her the recipe for and she hoped this would be enough to wake him from his sickness and general cold demeanor. As she approached the front door and rang the buzzer, her heart began fluttering once she heard his voice on the other end.

"Nat? What are you doing here?"

"Hey! I heard you were sick and since I haven't had the chance to see you in person I figured I would come check on you. I brought food" She raised the bag with the pot that held his soup before she realized he couldn't actually see her.

"...Oh. Okay I guess. You can come up"

Nat heard a buzzer and the front door was unlocked. She opened the door and walked towards the elevator to get to his apartment.

'Okay I guess.' What's that about? Did I do something wrong?

Nat tried to keep her mind at ease as the elevator rose up. There was a lot she wanted to say to Nick and she wasn't exactly sure how to get the words out. I could tell him thank you... and maybe even agree to go out on a date... but can we really start dating? I definitely don't want to just be a hookup for him. Geez this was a lot easier when it was just over the phone.

The elevator opened and Nat walked down the hall until she made it to Nick's door. She steadied her breathing and prepared herself for what was about to happen. She knocked three times and patiently waited. Before she knew it, Nick opened the door while wearing a thin long sleeve shirt and shorts that were several inches above his knees. It took everything in Nat to not check him out up and down, so she settled on appreciating his rugged shoulders and handsome face. She noticed his nose was slightly red.

"Hey Nat" he said slightly congested with a weak smile.

"Hey big guy. I promise one taste of this-" she waved the pot of soup around, "will make you feel better than ever."

Nick took a step back and motioned her inside with his left arm. Nat walked in and took in the scene. His apartment was decently sized, but certainly not the extravagant habitation she was expecting. It was rather simple, but to his credit, clean. She put the pot on his stove and turned it on, waiting for it to heat up. In the meanwhile she turned to Nick and decided it was time to break the ice.