Chapter 5: The Entertainment District

Start from the beginning

"Nice to meet you," I say, "my name is Ayaka Amamiya. I suppose I have to leave now, I'm sorry I don't look fit for the job."

"N-no, let me get a better look at you, girl," the woman calls, "my, why you're quite the beauty. Haven't had anyone looking that beautiful in house Kyogoku, well, ever. No, I've never seen anyone as pretty as you in my whole life. You'd give all the Oirans a run for their money. Girl, you work here starting today. We can have two Oirans at house Kyogoku. Come in, come in."

Somewhere further within house Kyougoku, Daki scrapes her long red nails into the wood of the chair she sits upon. She twirls a strand of her white hair, a glare resting on her face.

"Who does that bastard think she is?" Snarls Daki, "Warabahime is the only one worthy of oiran. I only respect people with true beauty. All the women here are just food. I'll teach her a lesson."

I wake up groggily, pulling myself out of bed. I reach around clumsily in bed, and I find myself tumbling out of bed.

"Owww," I mumble, tossing the sheets back onto the bed. I get up of the ground and trudge over to the mirror. Demon's can go without sleep, but I'm human, and barely fit in three last night. I yawn, but manage to grab some makeup. My hair's a mess and my eyes have bags under them. I put on everything I can find until I make myself look more pulled together. Satisfied, I slide on my kimono and hair ornaments, getting into my geta. I walk outside, albeit begrudgingly, and walk to get a cup of green tea.

On my way to get tea, I bump into someone suddenly, nearly toppling over.

"Watch where you're going," snaps a woman, slapping me across the face, "you wretched excuse for a human." I glare at her, and my eyebrow twitches slightly at the disrespect. She looks at me, and something in her eyes changes.

"I'm sorry," I say, lowering my head, "I should've been more aware of my surroundings." I bite my lip to refrain from lashing out.

"You better be," Daki snarks, "you're off the hook for now, but conduct yourself accordingly from now on."

"I will," I respond, "my name is Ayaka Amamiya. You must be Warabahime. I'm sorry we had to meet this way." Daki tsks, but let's it slide. Maybe she feels bad for slapping such a beautiful face. That or she's planning my murder.

A knock comes on the door, and I open it. I'm greeted by a yellow haired boy disguised as a girl. Zenitsu Agatsuma. Behind him stands a man with a large build, disguised and no longer wearing his uniform.

"What is it that you need from house Kyougoku?" I ask politely, "we don't often get such young girls visiting."

"This is Zenko," Uzui introduces, "I was hoping to sell her to house Kyougoku. She can work here and do chores."

"Alright," I say with a light smile, "here, take 10,000 yen. Is that good with you?"

"Yes, that works," Uzui responds, taking the money, "she's in your care." He walks off, but sends one more glance at me. It's somewhere between regret and longing. Maybe he thinks I'm going to die. Crazy bastard.

"Zenko," I say, looking to the boy, "you can speak to house elder Sumi, she'll tell you what to do. I'll be off, I have some things to attend to."

"A-alright," stutters Zenitsu, "I will." He looks a bit red in the face. I guess I can have that effect on people. I sigh after he walks away. It's so tiring, working here. I don't understand how Daki's dealt with this for centuries. Tyranny and oppression, I suppose.

"Eyahhh!" As if on cue, I hear the voice of a young girl scream from another room down the hallway scream in pain. I run down the hallway to see what the commotion is about. I see a young girl with brown hair and black eyes being pulled by her hair. She being held up, and it looks like her hair might be torn from her scalp. Daki looks enraged as she tugs at her hair, making her yelp again.