Chapter 30

As the night went on, it got busier. To the point where I could not even hear what Justin was saying half the night. I was mostly smiling and nodding. I did not mind, though, because I was mainly staring at him. He always looks alluring in his suits and ties for work. He probably looks better with them off, but I can wait to find out.

We ordered dinner as soon as he arrived. He said he went all day without being able to eat and was starving. I told him that was not healthy, and he said most of his days are like that. He has too much to deal with during the day that he never gets a break to eat.

I told him to bring lunch with him every day so that he can munch on something throughout the day, even when he is working. No boyfriend of mine was going to end up in the hospital because they fainted from not eating. He replied with a sweet "Okay, dear," and I blushed. Those words were pleasant to hear again. Especially coming out of his mouth.

"Where's Scott tonight?" asks Heather. My face falls. I had completely forgotten about him leaving.

"He left for California for a few days to celebrate with one of his clients."

Both of them are surprised. "How come you didn't go with him?" Justin asks.

"Were you not invited?" asks Heather.

"I was, but I told him I didn't feel like going."

I turn my attention elsewhere, letting Justin know I don't want to talk about it. Luckily Heather got two new patrons across the bar. I know she would go on about it. I turn back to face Justin. He smiles at me, and I rest my head on his shoulders for a minute.

I look up when I see a face from my past. What is AJ doing here in Jersey City? I have not seen him since Ethan's funeral. What are the chances he is here at Velchino's tonight with some girl I have never seen before? I guess he and Tara broke up.

"Are you okay?" Justin asks.

"Yeah, that man over there. I know him."

Justin looks his way. "Who is he?"

"AJ. He was Ethan's best friend. I have not seen him in years."

Justin immediately becomes alert. "Do you want to leave?"

I look over and smile at him. This man is incredible. He cares a lot about how I feel. "No, it's okay. We are enjoying this night together, and I want to continue." I lean in and kiss him.

Then a deep voice interrupts us, "Alex?" I look up and see AJ standing beside Justin's chair. "It is you. Wow. How have you been?"

I look at the short ample black-haired man. "Hey, AJ. I'm good. How are you?"

He smiles, but I can see him forcing it. "I'm good too. What are you doing in Jersey? Last I heard, you moved down to Florida."

"I did. I moved back in August." I look at Justin. A lot has happened in half a year. "I got a new job here working for Scott."

"Scott Lane?" he asks.

"Yep. The one and only. He owns his own business now and wanted me to work for him."

He nods his head. "Good for you. I am glad to see you are doing good in life. Ethan would be happy."

My heart skips a beat at that comment. Would he? He always told me he wanted nothing but for me to be happy in life. And he made sure to be the one who provided that happiness to me. I look back at Justin. Did Ethan send him to be in my life that night? I hope he did.

I look back at AJ. "Who is the brunette you are with? I guess you and Tara broke up?"

His face falls. "Yeah. Two years ago. She got a job offer in San Francisco, and I stayed behind. I could not leave my job." Wow, California. Good for her. She always wanted to leave Jersey.