An Olive Branch

The rest of the travel to King's Landing passed like a blur. Gerion only interacted with his sisters and mother, and sometimes the King or the Hand if he was spoken to. But otherwise, he was completely shut off. 

Joanna enjoyed her time with her new lady-in-waiting, Lady Darry, and her other lover, Lady Frey. But to everyone, she was just spending time in her chambers. She feels quite sick during the travels.

Sansa steers clear from anyone, especially her father. And when she is in the company of others, she is silent. Not a word. Not even a smile. Joffrey had not gone to visit her later.

Arya was the same. Only she learned how to sneak away, and Geila was often losing sight of her.

It seemed only Jeyne was enjoying the trip. She was, after all, only a young child and did not yet understand what was happening around her. Which was for the best, and Geila would keep it that way for as long as possible.

"How have you been?", Geila asked quietly, as they rode into the city. Gerion sat beside her, and Joanna and Jeyne sat across, talking about dresses and flowers or whatnot. 

"It's been difficult", Gerion replied truthfully. He looked outside, at the starved, dirty citizens. 

He hated King's Landing.

"It's been difficult for all of us, I expect", Geila continued. She took her son's hand carefully and rubbed it with her fingers, comfortingly. "I am afraid it won't get easier".

Gerion hummed, non-committedly. But then he turned to look at his mother. "When are we leaving for Casterly Rock?", he asked.

"I don't know, dearest", Geila replied, truthfully as well. "Soon I expect".

They rode up to the Keep. Their carriage was far behind the Royal Family and the Starks. By the Queen's design, most likely. But Geila did not mind. It meant everyone would already be inside by the time they would get out of their carriage. Less conversation, less interaction.

Gerion was out first, and he picked up Jeyne, holding her against himself carefully as he helped Joanna and then his mother down from the carriage. He took the role of man of the family very seriously.

"Welcome, Lady Lannister", a footman from the Red Keep greeted them. "Your chambers have been prepared, please, come inside".

They followed him, as he led them toward their chambers. As presumed, they were all close to each other, and Jeyne would still be sharing her space with her mother, because of how young she was.

Once they arrived, the footman left and the servants and guards arrived with their things. Gerion had not yet gone to his chambers, he preferred to be with his young sister. He showed her around the room and carried her towards the windows.

Then, she expressed her wish to go on the balcony, which he did.

"The Black sea", Gerion said and pointed to the horizon. There is Dragonstone, where the Targaryens used to live. And if we go a little North, we would arrive at Driftmark, the seat of House Velaryon", Gerion said softly, as Jeyne listened. Geila listened herself, but she busied her hands by straightening her jewelry that got mixed in the box.

"And across the Sea is Essos", Gerion concluded.

"Can we go to Essos?", Jeyne asked hopefully. She enjoyed her traveling and wished to continue it.

"Perhaps one day, I'll take you", Gerion promised, with a smile.

Geila knew he wouldn't. Not for the lack of trying. But Tywin would never let him. He was too important, too invaluable.