Adam

I went to many auctions with my parents as a teenager. I remember the anticipation as the auction items were displayed, and the excitement as the bidding began. Instead of watching the auction, I watch Ellie as she experiences the event for the first time. The room is practically tingling as Marguerite retakes the stage and the first of the auction items are brought out, and Ellie is practically bouncing in her seat with eagerness.

"To start, we have a wine tasting experience for two at Monsieur Frost's vineyard. Shall we start the bidding at four hundred euros?"

Paddles immediately begin to rise amongst the crowd, and I watch Ellie as her eyes dart around the room trying to keep up with the bidding. "Sold for one thousand six hundred euros."

The remainder of the auction passes in a blur. All of the items are sold for thousands of euros, including the holiday home in the Maldives won by Henry at our table for his wife Charlotte as an anniversary gift. I barely pay any attention to it, simply enjoying Ellie's reactions. She gasps every time the bidding reaches its pinnacle and it's a delight to watch.

"And now for the final item of the night," Marguerite indicates to the oil painting Ellie was admiring earlier, "the bidding will start at five hundred euros."

I watch Ellie's shoulders slump slightly at the opening bid. I know she could never afford the painting and that I could easily, but I wasn't sure she would allow me to bid on her behalf. To her credit, Ellie recovers quickly, putting on a smile as she watches the bidding.

The bidding increases until there is only two bidders left, a man at the back of the room and a young woman at a table. Unknown to Ellie and the other guests, the man is my proxy authorised to buy the painting at any price. I had asked Marguerite to ensure of this when I spoke to her earlier in the evening.

"And sold for three thousand two hundred euros." Marguerite gestures to my man at the back of the room. "That concludes the auction. Winners can collect their items at reception, or they will be delivered to them within the next forty-eight hours. I am happy to advise that we have raised a grand total of fifty-four thousand euros for the Frost Foundation tonight."

The crowd applauses as the stage goes dark, colourful lights appearing from the ceiling shining around the room and lighting up the dance floor where a DJ has started to play upbeat music. People leave their seats and immediately flock to the dance floor, laughing and enjoying themselves. I rise from my seat and offer Ellie my hand. "Would you honour me with a dance?"