Ellie

I am in the kitchen setting up the coffee machine and grabbing ingredients from the cupboards and fridge, listening to music through my headphones while I work. I have used headphones every day since the incident with Mr Auguste on my first day and today is no exception.

It's been nearly twelve hours and I haven't seen or heard from Adam since the kiss, and it's starting to make me uneasy. Did I make a huge mistake? Maybe I should just forget it happened? I thought that the kiss was amazing but maybe I had freaked him out.

I am dancing along to the loud beat in my ears kneading dough ready for the bread for lunch, when I turn around and spot Adam leaning against the doorjamb with an amused expression on his face. I freeze briefly before I quickly rip the headphones out of my ears and stuff them into my back pocket.

"Good morning," he says with the same expression on his face, gesturing towards the stools by the centre island, "do you mind if I sit?"

"Okay."

He wanders into the room and as he takes a seat, I notice that he is dressed more casually today; he is wearing blue jeans, a white top, and a blue and white checked button-down. His hair is slightly damp and as usual it is hanging over his face messily.

"Do you want some coffee?" I ask, not sure what to do.

"That would be great." He says with a smile.

I spin on my heel, grab a mug from the cupboard and fill it with piping hot coffee, milk and sugar as I know he drinks it, trying to ignore the feeling of his gaze on me as I move around the room.

"Thank you." He says with a smile as I put the coffee in front of him.

"I need to start breakfast." I say abruptly, not sure how to act with him.

"Don't let me stop you." He says as he takes a small sip of coffee, nodding in approval.

How am I supposed to cook with him watching me? He's completely distracting. Nevertheless, I try my best to ignore him as I continue, but it's a disaster; I drop an egg on the floor, I lose eggshell in my mixture and I spill milk on the side.

"I promise I'm not usually this much of a disaster." I explain, looking back at Adam in exasperation.

"Am I distracting you?" He asks with a smile.

"Yes." I say honestly, and then instantly feel my cheeks burn.

As if detecting my discomfort, he quickly changes the subject. "What are you cooking?"

"Attempting is a more apt description," I say on a nervous laugh, "it's supposed to be French toast."

"Delicious. Would you like some help?"

Normally I would tell him to sit down, after all I work for him, but after the debacle I am having this morning I don't feel as though I should turn down the help. "Please."

"Where do you want me?" He asks innocently as he walks around the centre island towards me. My mind instantly starts to think inappropriate thoughts and I want to tell him that I want him between my legs. It's a good job he can't read my thoughts!

"Can you whisk the eggs, milk and cream together?"

"Sure." He says grabbing the whisk.

While he does this, I measure out the cinnamon and cut the vanilla, before adding it to the mixture. I grab the brioche before standing next to Adam and laying out the brioche slices in a tray. Adam carefully lifts the bowl of mixture and pours it over the slices.

I grab a frying pan, add some butter, and let it heat on the stove. Adam brings over the pan and I pick up one of the slices and put it into the pan to fry. It's nice cooking with someone for a change, and we do make a great team, but having him so close is unnerving. He still hasn't mentioned the kiss, and as much as I want to do it again, I don't want to mention it if he doesn't feel the same way.

I notice that the brioche is starting to golden on one side so I reach to turn it over but as I do my finger touches the edge of the pan and I pull my hand back, hissing with pain. Without missing a beat, Adam grabs my wrist to inspect my injury, pulls me to the sink and turns on the tap.

"Thanks." I say breathlessly as he holds my hand under the tap, the cold water soothing the burn. Both of his hands are under the water with mine, massaging my wrist and fingers with his, and I cannot help but exhale a small sigh of pleasure at the contact. It's strange that such a small gesture could affect me so much, but I feel the pull to lean into his touch as his fingers gently massage mine.

"I think I'd better finish these." He comments, pulling me out of my daze, as he removes his hands from the water and dries them on a towel.

I similarly dry my hands but as I apply a plaster to my finger, Adam finishes frying the brioche and placing them on a plate. I grab the icing sugar and add a dusting to the tops of the brioche to finish.

"Perfect." I say, but I'm not talking about the food, I'm talking about the complicated man by my side who I desperately want.

"I am going to take one of these to go if that's okay," he says gesturing to the plate of food, "I have some stuff to take care of."

"Oh okay." I say disappointed. I was hoping he would be staying for breakfast.