Chapter 10b: Longing

Start from the beginning

He only wished that some of that light would fall on him and dispel his darkness. But that wasn't possible. His very presence was dampening her light.

Dev glanced down at the source of her annoyance. Meera felt his eyes on her but her sole concentration was on the complicated knot.

Her unruly curls obscured her vision, falling over her eyes and covering her face. She couldn't remove them when her one hand was busy working out the knot and the other stuck. Dev only longed to twirl them around his fingers, to feel it's softness and tuck them behind her ears so they wouldn't hide his view of her beauty.

Meera bit her painted lips while keeping her kol eyes fixed on the problem as her fingers worked nimbly on loosening the thread from around her bracelet. But nylon threads were hard to break.

The only option left was to cut it but they didn't have scissors near them and Meera was not looking forward to making a journey inside her house to get them with Dev stuck with her. She could call someone for help but that would just garner more attention. Besides, none of her family or friends were near.

Now there was just one other option left.

Taking in a breath, her nostrils filing with the scent of mint and lime, Meera tugged at the thread, strongly and then hissed as the coarse material of the fabric scratched her hand.

Immediately another set of slender, artistic fingers wrapped itself around her wrist, ceasing her movements.

Dev noticed the redness on the side of her palm due to the irritated skin. A deep frown marred his countenance.

The concern in his eyes were palpable. It should've made Meera feel good but the concern for such a small bruise was ironical when compared to the pain he had caused.

"Careful," he mumbled as his thumb caressed her skin. The softness of his touch burned her skin.

It aggravated her and she glared at him, wrenching her hand away from his, so harshly that the thread finally gave away.

The unmistakable sound of the fabric tearing reached her ears but she didn't stop to look back at the damage and bumping her shoulders with his, she stormed off.

Dev sighed, turning back after she disappeared between the flurry of guests.

He deserved it.

Looking down at the torn fabric, a shiny object caught his eyes. There, dangling from the thread, still tied in the knot was a small stone encrusted charm from Meera's bracelet. He gently plucked it off and observed it. The artificial ruby stone almost looked like a disfigured heart. Enclosing the charm in his palms, he carefully pocketed it like a souvenir.

Meera walked as fast as she could to create distance between them when she stumbled past Ahana who dragged her to the side.

"What was that?" Ahana asked, eyeing Meera curiously.

Meera rolled her eyes, "You saw that?"

"You two weren't exactly hiding."

"And yet, you didn't bother coming to help me."

"I didn't want to intrude in your private moment. I didn't know what you were doing."

"We were doing nothing," Meera gritted back in annoyance. "My bracelet got stuck to his Kurta and I was trying to remove it," Meera explained.

Well, I just wanna let you know that Logan saw you both." Ahana said. "And he had some questions."

Meera frowned. "Why?"