Confronting

McCallister

My office door was opened abruptly.

"Bishop. Are you in a Wedding dress?"

Bishop had Herrera and another woman with her.

I knew the third one wasn't a Firefighter.

"Yes, sir. I am in a Wedding dress because I came here from my Wedding. I married this extraordinary woman and it was the happiest moment of my life and then I got your absurdly sexist e-mail and it threatened to ruin my night but I didn't let it, sir. I came here instead, but--"

"Bishop, you were suspended for insubordination and breaking protocols. If you think that you can get out of that by crying sexism, you got another thing co--"

"I'm not crying sexism, sir. I am shining a light on it in the hopes of creating real change."

"All due respect, Chief, my father, Pruitt Herrera, was written up for insubordination on several occasions but he was never relieved of his duty." Herrera pointed out.

"That's not pertinent to this--"

"I- I am speaking." She told me, putting her hand out.

"Oh."

"I can list off a dozen male fire Captains I know personally who stepped out of line and stepped on toes everyday of their career and they never even got written up."

"She refused a direct order."

"Yes, sir, but the alternative was to let an injured child die on the street." Herrera argued.

"Yeah, and that child, by the way, lived--"

"This is not how we do things at the SFD, Bishop."

"But it is, sir. At SFD, we fight for what's right. It's how my father raised me. It's how he raised every Firefighter at Station 19."

"My team won't accept my demotion, sir. I don't accept it. I work too hard for my job and I am too damn good at it. Plus, it is my Wedding day so you don't get to steal my job or my joy, at least not without a fight."

"Okay. Okay."

I sat on the edge of my desk.

"You can keep 19, Bishop."

Herrera had a dazed look in her eyes. 

"Andy?" 

Bishop was taken aback as she collapsed. 

"Holy shit!" She commented. 

Herrera was passed out. 

Bishop kneeled next to her. 

"This is all you!" She yelled. 

"Me?!" 

"Yeah, you!" 

Bishop sighed. 

"Can you try to get ahold of one of the guys? Tell them to grab the Aid Car?" 

"Yeah." 

"Tell them one of our own is down." 

"Got it." 

"That'll get them to put their ass in gear." 

"What?" 

"We respond faster if one of our brothers or Sisters are down. Something quite foreign to you, I know." Bishop retorted.