It was two simple words. But the whole reason Alyssa was acting the way she was. Fear.

Daemon knew he would never truly know fear like that. He could be fearful for Alyssa, for the mother. But he would never be the one having to go through it, afraid she would die with no choice in the matter.

Especially carrying the future heir. Everyone was likely to care more for the baby than Alyssa's life if something went wrong. She was just afraid of it all.

Not even the hurt. Simply the fear of death and not having a choice. Afraid of being cut open against her will and left to die like she hadn't really mattered at all.

"It is not wrong to be afraid. All of it is scary. Especially for the first time," Daemon said at first, reaching forward to take Alyssa's hands. "I have been afraid every time a child of mine has been making their way into this world. And I was not the one tasked with delivering them."

Even just hearing him tell her that it was okay to feel afraid made Alyssa relax a little bit. She was rigid with the belief that she was just supposed to accept it all and feel normal. Like the snobby noble women in court who talked about how easy it was for them, they any woman who didn't think the same must have been quite the sinner.

"But fear will only hinder you in the coming weeks. You were born without issue from your mother in the Vale. Raised by some of the strongest women I've ever known. You are strong," Daemon assured, reminding Alyssa of who she'd grown up around. Being fearful would make everything harder.

Whatever was to happen would happen regardless of her fears. It was better not to dwell on the catastrophic outcomes and instead focus on the positive ones. Even if it was hard, it would make everything easier.

"You have already fought battles, little dragon. This one will be no different. Besides, you've won every battle you've fought," he reminded with a little smile.

Part of her knew all of that. But it still helped to hear it. That she would be well cared for, that she was strong, and that she could be afraid while still acknowledging those facts.

Alyssa hugged her father tightly. She needed that comfort, the words, to feel more secure in herself as she progressed. And she also needed to tell Jace her fears. It would help, he would. She was being silly by keeping it from him.

Although Daemon gave her those words and assured her, he was honestly terrified. It might've been the most afraid he had been in his life; it all had to do with births. He lost his mother to it, his wife, and almost Rhaenyra.

He could not lose his daughter too. And he hoped those words had done more for her than they had for him.

***

After speaking with Daemon, Alyssa did tell Jace that she was afraid. Of having no choice, of being treated only like a vessel. She really had been silly to keep it from him. Because immediately he was working to assure her that wouldn't happen. That he wouldn't let it happen. He cared for her, he would always choose Alyssa. She was his priority.

And that was when Jace encouraged Alyssa to also speak with Rhaenyra. Entering the last third of her pregnancy, things were beginning to come together for the actual birth. Maesters had poured over the moon charts to predict when Alyssa would deliver. They encouraged hosting a massive Tourney and feasts to celebrate the child that week.