Dark magic was real. People misusing it to destroy the empire and bring despair to all who lived in it, would come to power if left alone. And from his own inside investigation of the growing power of dark magicians - the first prince knew it better than anyone.

The empire did not stand a chance against them.

Because the only one who was ever able to rid of that darkness in history, was the First Saintess from centuries in the past. Of course, someone like her no longer existed.

River lifted a hand up to his ear, adjusting the frames of his spectacles. "Two years is what I predict His Highness can endure. Until he dies because his body is no longer able to handle the pain," the mage explained. "Though you may not feel it now, it will slowly nip at you more and more every day. It's a matter of time, Prince Daniel."

Daniel's gaze did not waver, even after hearing those words. Rather, his concerns remained somewhere else. "I don't care about what happens to me, but what of the empire? Is there really no way to stop them without the Saintess?"

River paused briefly, as though reflecting upon a choice. He opened his mouth a little to respond, but closed it again.

Now isn't the right time to tell them... He realised, closing his eyes.

"If we look back on how it was dealt with centuries ago... It's likely we will need to find a way to gain Divine Magic." Was his response. It was then River turned to face the duke, whose expression was grim.

"Divine magic... Since the Cherliann bloodline is connected to the Saintess, there might be something we could find." He suggested, his scarlet irises alight with resolve. River nodded his head.

"Pssst. River."

A voice distracted the mage, but he didn't move. He could feel something nestle into his shoulder - a sensation all too familiar. Snow craned his long neck downwards, peering into River's stoic face with a pair of beady, curious eyes.

No one else in the room could see him, but thankfully both Daniel and Rudien appeared to be in deep thought about the gravity of this situation to notice the mage's upturned head. River glanced up briefly.

"What is it?" He responded, in his mind. "Can't you see I'm in the middle of something important?"

"I think you should tell them about Irene." Snow's words surprised him.

"What? No- now isn't a good time."

Snow was quiet for a moment. The phoenix perked his head up, glancing at Daniel. He then flew off River's shoulder, and went to stand on the prince's head, without his awareness.

"If what you said is true and this boy has a demon inside him, Irene might be able to get rid of it," Snow told him. River's eyes widened in slight surprise, having not considered such a solution. "We won't be sure of it until she awakens but... It's likely Irene is the next Saintess. Meaning she will have the ability to eliminate the demons."

River deeply considered those words. Irene Cherliann was the only person who stood a chance in this fight. In a battle between the divine and the dark, humans were powerless. Spirits and demons were completely hidden from their eyes, after all.

Right now, the Princess of Cherliann was living a peaceful life, not knowing what was to come. And as he pictured her sweet, kind smile, a flicker of sorrow hovered over River Alvenicht's bespectacled eyes.

In a few years, or even months...

Will she still continue to smile like that?

He clenched his fists. "Your Grace. I have a suggestion..." River spoke, with hesitation in his voice. Snow could tell the mage was reluctant to get Irene involved, not because he doubted her abilities.

But because he sincerely cared about his student.

"What is it, River?" Rudien listened attentively.

"...I think it would be a good idea to have Prince Daniel stay with the Cherlianns. Being around descendants of the Saintess might slow the demon's attempt to kill him," River spoke carefully, before turning to face Daniel. "If possible... I think it would also be a good idea for him to form an engagement with Irene Cherliann."

Both Rudien and Daniel froze in silence at that last sentence.

"Marriage...? My daughter...?"

Rudien's usual composure seemed to have collapsed. His face turned pale, but before he could lose it, River intervened.

"Think about it, My Lord. You already have Prince Mikael living in your home, and his reputation has turned gold over the past four years. There's even a faction of the empire supporting his ascension to the throne," he explained. "If you take in Prince Daniel, as a student - people may start asking questions. So if he officially becomes engaged to Irene Cherliann, it gives him reason to stay close to your family. It'll also solidify the intention for him to be crowned emperor."

Daniel was quiet. He merely glanced at Rudien Cherliann, who seemed to be desperately trying to keep his threads from snapping.

Four years had passed since Daniel started to study under this man, despite their relationship being hidden in the shadows. If he knew one thing - it was that Rudien Cherliann's greatest treasure was his children. Especially Irene, his daughter.

He probably doesn't like the idea of giving her to someone else. Daniel realised, trying not to smile. Despite the severity of their conversation, he thought the look on Rudien's face in that moment was quite entertaining.

But Irene Cherliann... Something about her is indeed special. Daniel recalled the few times he met her. He never took notice of it at first, but there was a blatant fact which told of her importance. One that stared him right in the face, literally.

The colour of her eyes were gold.

Though most people had no idea about this now, since the First Saintess was said to have existed thousands of years ago, she was also described as having eyes which sparkled like gold.

...She might end up playing a large role in this mess... Daniel thought, pondering deeply. I would have preferred not to get her involved, but... Maybe neither of us have a choice in our fates.

"I'll approve of it."

Those words rang clearly within the tower, taking both River and Daniel by surprise. As they turned to face Rudien - his crimson eyes seemed completely serious, as he faced the prince.

"But, I don't want to force my daughter into a marriage she doesn't want. So, try to make her want this marriage. If after your attempts, she still doesn't, then that is her decision to make."

...Is he being serious?

Did this man really just... Give me permission to woo his daughter??

Daniel was at a loss for words. But he could tell the Duke took every option and considered this thoroughly. Rudien was never the type to take a gamble. He likely saw this as the only option.

And yet - something bothered him.

As if a thorn was jabbing at his side, Daniel swallowed.

"...But what about Mikael?" He asked, his voice hesitant. "I heard Mikael has grown close to Irene Cherliann over the years. Will he... Be okay with that?"

Rudien contemplated this. "They are indeed close. But they don't have that sort of relationship. If it comes to it, I think you should explain the truth to him as well. Mikael has the right to know, and he will cooperate."

Daniel went quiet.

This isn't how I wanted things to happen, but...

He sighed softly.

   What a precarious situation.