Tulkun

When I finished, I turned to look at Ronal.

'I'm going to go look Ao'nung, we have to find a Mauri.' I told her, she nodded without looking up at me, gesturing with her hands to run along.

I saw the boy making a spear as I rolled my eyes, I crouched down behind him wrapping my arms around him. I kissed his neck as I felt his head tilt up.

'We should look for a Mauri, Spear boy.' I mumbled into his neck before I pulled back to look at him.

'Alright Tsìl. I'm gonna jog back and put this away, wait for me?' He spoke as we stood, holding my arm gently he kissed my forehead before sprinting off to put his dagger away.

I leaned up against one of the supporters waiting for the boy, someone stopped in front of me.

I look up to see Netayam, my ears fell when I saw him.

'What?' I asked when he didn't speak, the boy rubbed his neck.

'Uh, do you want to go ride on our ilu's?' He replied, looking up at me.

'I can't, I have to do something with Ao'nung before the Tulkun arrive.' I told the boy, his face changed at the mention of Ao'nung's name.

Before Netayam could speak, Ao'nung appeared at my side.

'What's going on?' He asked.

'Nothing, just having a talk with Netayam.' I told Ao'nung, I grabbed his hand as I quickly smiled up at him.

'We'll talk to you later Netayam.' I spoke, quickly before dragging Ao'nung with me. We stopped inside a unclaimed Mauri as I propped myself up against the wall.

I looked down at the floor with a hand pressed to my forehead. After I few moments I look up to see Ao'nung staring at me.

'Good.. uh.. walls, strong.. yes.' I spoke trying to play it off as I pushed onto the wall.

'What is it?' He asked me.

'I- I..' I stuttered, he walked over to me grabbing me gently. I looked up at him, he stared into my eyes.

'I don't know.. that forest boy just showing up randomly when your gone, it just feels odd to be alone with him.' I spoke staring at his chest before looking back up at him. His expression was unreadable, he let go of me before charging out.

'I- MaNoug!' I called, following him, he was charging towards Netayam, who stood with Tsireya, his siblings, and Nita.

'Arh!' Netayam examined, Ao'nung had pushed him into the water.

'MaNung!' I called again grabbing him, my ears fell before I touched him.

'She is not yours! Stop coming up to her awkwardly and making her uncomfortable when I'm gone!' Ao'nung shouted at Netayam, pointing a finger at him.

I tried to drag him back as Netayam got up, pushing Ao'nung. I got in-between them as I pushed Netayam away, he ignored me, getting in Ao'nung's face before pushing him harder.

'If she's uncomfortable she can tell me herself!' Netayam spoke as I stepped back, turning to see Tsireya placing a hand on my shoulder. I frowned at the boys arguing as I see Jake and Tonowari rushing over.

'Hey!' Jake announced his presence to the two boys, Ao'nung looked at him just before Netayam pushed Ao'nung to the ground.

I rushed over to the two as I pushed Netayam back once more, I crouched next to Ao'nung hissing protectively. Holding Ao'nung back with a hand.

'That's enough!' Jake told his son. Tonowari grabbed my arm hulling me up as Ao'nung got to his feet. Dragging us both to the current Tsahik and Olo'eyktan Mauri.

My ears flattened once Tonowari told Ronal what happened, and when Ao'nung told her what it was about.

'You are future Tsahik and Olo'eyktan! Start acting like it!' Ronal scolded us.

I glanced up at Ao'nung as he looked down at me, our ears and tail falling as I was dismissed.

'We found a Mauri.. not too far from here, we might settle there.' I told them before I walked out.

The next morning I found Ao'nung on the beach. Before either of us could speak, I saw something by the opening of the reef as a alarm was sounded.

'The Tulkun have returned. Everybody, our brothers and sisters have returned!' Tsireya called out as Ao'nung grabbed my hand running towards his ilu.

We rode out to his spirit brother, Ob'sou, as I looked around for my spirit sister, Hil'mia. I dived down once I spotted her.

'Sister! It is so great to see you again!' I signed as she squealed.

'Tsìlllyä! How wonderful!' She responded as we began to talk about what's happened while they were gone.

'You're going to be Tsahik! How exciting!' She brought up the topic after awhile.

'Yes, I expect muntxa si (marry/mate) to be soon. Tsahik and Olo'eyktan decided for our ceremony to be held for your return.' I signed with a smile, she made a sound as I giggled, bubbles escaping my mouth. She made another sound, like a squeal as she looked beside me, my smile replaced with a look of confusion.

I looked to my side to see Nita, Kiri, and Tuk. I waved at them as I plastered a smile on my face.

A day later I sat with Ronal in her Mauri, I was making a shawl Ao'nung and Tsireya have gone with Netayam to follow Lo'ak.

After Ronal was called by Tonowari I heard a group of people walk in. I look up to see Tonowari, Tsireya, Ao'nung, Netayam, Lo'ak, and a hand of Ronal gently pushing him inside.

'What has happened?' I asked standing, hiding the shawl under a blanket before Ao'nung could see it.

'You allow this. You allowed him to bond with the outcast.' Ronal spoke harshly looking at her daughter pointing at Lo'ak.

'Tsireya. -She flinches, breathing in sharply as her name is called- You disappoint me, daughter. And you, are the son of a great warrior. Who has been taught better.' Tonowari spoke as the Sully parents walk in.

'Pakakan saved my life, sir. You don't know him.' Lo'ak replied.

'Sit. -pointing at Lo'ak- Sit down!' Tonowari yelled as I went to stand behind Ao'nung.

'Hear my words, boy. In the days of the first songs, the Tulkun fought amongst themselves.. for territory and for revenge. But they came to believe that killing, no matter how justified only brings more killing. So, killing was forbidden. This is the Tulkun way. Payakan is a killer and so he is outcast.' Tonowari told them, I glanced at Lo'ak.

'Im sorry sir, but you are wrong.' Lo'ak said.

'Lo'ak; you are speaking to the Olo'eyktan.' Neytiri told her son, Lo'ak tried to argue by Jake told him that's enough.

'I know what I know.' Lo'ak finally said, I hissed at the boy.

'That's enough. I'll deal with this one.' Jake mumbled looking at Tonowari as he nodded, Jake grabbed Lo'ak's arm roughly as I watched him being dragged off, Netayam followed after.