Internal Prisoner

Start from the beginning

"Trust me, Irishman. If I ever do find myself wishing to be well pleased I will find you.." She took a small step towards him, her right hand twisting the small cross between her slender fingers before she looked up at him through her heavy lashes, leaning close to him before whispering close to his lips but loud enough so the other two could hear. "So you can direct me to the baby monk."

The monk now laughed loudly and it broke the silent one completely, he laughed and it was weirdly comforting. But she knew she had to go calm Hilda down otherwise life at camp would be miserable. So she left them all so they could find somewhere to settle and find the ale that the Irishman wanted. As she left, she could hear them all laughing and poking fun at each other. Part of the display made her jealous. She had never allowed herself to make true friendships. Her main concern was always her sister.

When she entered her tent, Hilda was already in the process of changing for the night. She wore a light blue dress and the way it graced her body was perfect. Sigyn slowly approached her, testing the waters by wrapping her arms around her waist from behind and settling her chin on her shoulder.

"Why must you embarrass me this way? First, with Ragnar and now. With Uhtred's men. What are you planning?" Hilda knew well enough by now that most of Sigyn's moves were calculated, but honestly. She had no explanation for the Irishman, she just wanted him to be knocked off his high horse.

"Ragnar has still never laid a hand on me. I show him things. Teach him things. Things you've shown me." Her lips gently placed kisses on any of the bare skin she could find. "I just wanted to embarrass the Irishman." Finally, Sigyn moved to turn Hilda around so she could look at her properly, smiling to herself at how beautiful she was. "I guess you have a dress for me too?" Whenever Hilda did dress up, she always picked one out for Sigyn and it was always crazy to see such a bloodthirsty woman in a dress playing a damsel.

Soon a red velvet dress was brought to her and Hilda helped her to discard her armour and change and when Hilda went to pass Sigyn her blade she held her hand out, shaking her head slowly. Everyone was on edge with the new arrivals so there was no way she would make the situation worse by carrying her sword with her.

"You will go to Ragnar tonight?" Hilda asked as she finished doing up the last couple of buttons on the back of the red dress. The idea of anyone else having Sigyn was enough to drive her insane. But this is how it had always been. Cursed to love a woman in private.

"If he asks for me, I cannot say no. Especially now that Skade and Uhtred are here. I have to keep him on my side." The camp grew rowdy, and the pair knew the men would be several cups deep in their drink now. They should make an appearance. Both women left their tents and went to find some ale for themselves, they'd need it tonight.

She could spot Uhtred's men in the far corner, the monk was nursing his first drink, the silent one was just watching everyone, he seemed on edge. And the Irishman, well. He was living up to his name, cheering loudly and downing his cups almost as quickly as he filled them.

Ragnar and Brida were sat with his men and when she saw what Brida was carrying she nearly choked on her drink. It was a powerful talisman, used to stop curses. Uhtred would think he was safe, and it would give him chance to think of his next move. Without the fear of the curse haunting his every waking moment.

Hilda had soon left her alone when the other shield maidens had shouted her over. The camp felt like it was now suffocating her, unseen walls closing in on her and she felt like she would empty her stomach contents any minute now. So instead of making such a spectacle of herself she rushed to the well, pulling up a bucket of water and drinking that instead of her ale. The only issue was where the well was, right beside Uhtred's men and of course the Irishman had spotted her. He instantly smacked the table to get her attention as if he was inviting her over to sit.